Loose rear cassette

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited November 2011 in Workshop
I've swapped a SRAM 10sp cassette for a Shimano 10sp cassette today but, despite torquing up the locking ring, there's free (lateral) movement in the cassette elements. I'm sure I fitted all the supplied parts and there's nothing obviously missing. Each gear ring seems to be equally spaced but it seems that the locking ring is bottoming out before it clamps up the gears. Any ideas?

Failing anything else, I'll try swapping the gear stack from another hub to see if that improves things.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Did you fit the spacer that needs to go on first with shimanos cassettes?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Did you fit the spacer that needs to go on first with shimanos cassettes?

No. That'll be what's missing (I've just been reading that they are needed for 9sp hubs & 10sp cassettes). When ARE these spacers needed?
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    They are not needed for 9spd. But are for 10spd. ( shimanos hub).

Mavic also need an additional spacer.

It is covered in the FAQs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Cool - thank you. Should be able to pinch one off another wheel - disappointing that there wasn't one with the cassette supplied in the groupset if they are so commonly needed.
  • baznav73
    baznav73 Posts: 111
    Yes all 10spd shimano cassettes should come with the spacer and it sits in the recess in the back of the cassette.
  • Yup - all fixed, thanks. Frustrating that the groupset isn't supplied with that spacer. Will need to source one
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Yup - all fixed, thanks. Frustrating that the groupset isn't supplied with that spacer. Will need to source one
    It should have come with the cassette. If not someone has nicked it or you have lost it. :(
  • John.T wrote:
    Yup - all fixed, thanks. Frustrating that the groupset isn't supplied with that spacer. Will need to source one
    It should have come with the cassette. If not someone has nicked it or you have lost it. :(

Nowhere to have lost it - cassette was straight out of the bag and straight onto the hub. But then the clamping screw was missing from the front derailleur collar - so maybe the kit was a "return" at some point.