Motorcycle menace

moonio
moonio Posts: 802
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
Has anyone else noticed an increase in motorbikes and mopeds on the roads? Ive seen lots of motorists in the cycle lanes etc plus really dangerous shared use of the road.
After a moped sped past me yesterday with only inches between us i am begining to feel its now too dangerous to cycle commute in London.
Is there any way to make things a bit safer?

Comments

• Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Definately more people learning to ride motorbikes round my way.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I feckin hate mopeds
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,353
    Unfortunately there are pratts on all means of transport. Mopeds seem to attract more than their fair share for various reasons. Minimal training to be let loose solo on a motorised form of transport, the riders are generally younger and think they have the invincibility cloak of yoof, they are dog slow pigs to ride so the riders will do almost anything to avoid slowing down, I'm sure there are others that don't leap immediately to mind.
    Pizza delivery riders seem to be particularly bad.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I mostly don't mind powered 2 wheelers.

Yeah, some of them come in cycle lanes and ASLs - but plenty of cyclists don't obey the rules of the road either.

You can get a decent draft off a lot of them as well.

Moaning about all powered 2 wheelers is like moaning about all car drivers, all lorry drivers, all white van men, all taxi drivers... all cyclists.....
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Got cut up by a pizza delivery moped on Friday on the way down NKR, just from the railway bridge. He cut into the cycle lane without looking. I hate Friday commute now.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,163
    I've noticed more badly ridden motorbikes/mopeds over the last few months.

It may be people are switching from cars to motorbikes to save money as a lot of them have L plates: They might have ditched the car and got a cheap bike, then realised how much time and effort it takes to get a licence.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    Paul E wrote:
    I feckin hate mopeds

+1,000,000

Rinnninininininininin beep beep weave zoom zoom

B**tards

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • It's important not to get too close.....

.... that's why I always give plenty of room when I'm overtaking mopeds :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem