Alloy types/numbers...

andy46
andy46 Posts: 1,666
edited November 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
This maybe a silly question, but what do they mean??

Am I right in thinking the higher the number, the better the quality of alloy... so 7005 is a better grade than 6061??

Thanks to anyone who can clear this up for me :)
2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Have a look at the topic in the FAQs that covers this.

But no.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    If you cant find it (I couldnt, but I didnt look that hard) The numbers represent what the allow is made of, 6061 is magnesium and silicon, while 7005 is Zinc. 7005 is harder in principle, but all Alloys of this type can be further hardened by heat treating etc. So a hardened 6061 might be nearly as tough as a raw 7005. 6061 is easier to form and work with too I believe, so you find that some bikes are 6061 but more expensive designs than others using 7005. For example, the Yeti sb-66 is 6061, as the forming of all those loverly curvey tubes just works better with 6061.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • andy46
    Thanks for the quick replies :D

The I found it in the FAQs, quite interesting really. The reason I'm asking is my Scott Spark is made from 6061, and I'm looking at swapping the frame on my road bike to one I've seen in my lbs which is made from 7005 so wanted to know the difference.

The frame in question is a brand that, if I'm honest I've ever heard of. I've asked in the road section but had no replies yet. Here's a link to it if anyone could tell me if it's any good or if I should stay away.

http://www.formebikes.co.uk/bikes/road/ ... _frame.php

Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• baznav73
    baznav73 Posts: 111
    Thought i read somewhere that 7075 was cheaper to use as it doesn't require heat treatment after welding as it age hardens, but 6061 must be heat treated after welding and so is a more expensive process.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Baz totally wrong.

But to sum up 6000 tend to be used in the USA and 7000 in the far east.

As far a the ride or durability it makes little odds which s used.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • andy46
    Thanks for all the info but it no longer matters as my lbs has done me a deal that I just couldn't refuse on a complete full carbon bike :D
    2019 Ribble CGR SL