Crud RoadRacer 2 on Planet X SL Pro

ba68
ba68 Posts: 156
edited December 2011 in Road buying advice
Simple question, has anyone fitted a set of Crud RoadRacer Mk2's to a PX SL Pro? I understand they are not the easiest to fit / remove but I want to know whether there is enough clearance on the frame, I run 23mm tyres.

Comments

• daveb99
    daveb99 Posts: 273
    I have the same frame - and it looks like it would be very, very tight indeed in terms of clearance. Worth a try I suppose, they way the Cruds fasten means that they are the most solid at the closest point, as you wrap tie wraps around the brake calipers and through the guards - so there's a chance, just a slim one!

I have fitted them to my Allez Elite instead, since it has been relegated to winter duties after building my PX :-)
    2012 Scott CR1 SL
    2013 Dolan Dual
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
  • ba68
    Yes, I thought they would be very tight, so if anyone has actually fitted some I would like to know before I get some.
  • BigSpecs
    BigSpecs Posts: 309
    I think the rule of thumb is, if a 5mm Allen key fits between the calliper and tyre, there is enough room. If not :0(
  • ba68
    Clearance under the calliper seems fine, my concern is the clearance between the rear wheel and the lower portion of the seat tube closest to the wheel, in particular the clamp for the front mech. I guess if no PX owners on here have tried them then I may just have to bite the bullet and get some and give them a try.
  • They fit fine.
  • BigSpecs
    BigSpecs Posts: 309
    The MK1 design has a short flat in front of the rear calliper, so would be fine. It is the MKII that has a longer section to protect the front mech etc. IIRC both fittings are in the packet for the MKII so you could take your pic. I trimmed a hole in the longer section to get it closer to the seat tube on my Allez.
  • I tried, I failed, to fit MK11s to my SL Pro carbon. I could not get the clearance. I guess it depends on the tyres.
    Kona Cindercone 1995
    Trek 6500 2006
    Planet X SL carbon 2010
    Planet X Team Alu with SRAM apex
  • daveb99
    daveb99 Posts: 273
    Further to my earlier reply - had a look this evening and on my PX, I have approx 4mm clearance between the tyres and the forks (same at rear), a little more under the brake calipers (Conti GP4000S tyres on Easton EA50SL wheels) I have around 7-8mm clearance between the rear tyre and the seat post, where the mech clamp is. In my view, the problem area would be the lack of sufficient clearance under the fork crown, and the same at the rear, not the seat post clearance.

I guess you could try it - at least they are cheap to buy, and you'll have a ready market of buyers if you need to resell the, at this time of year!
    2012 Scott CR1 SL
    2013 Dolan Dual
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
  • PhilPub
    PhilPub Posts: 229
    OK, looks like you've got yourself a guinea pig! I ordered a pair of the Cruds from Wiggle on Friday, so should be getting them imminently. I couldn't find anything online specific to the PX but I saw enough favourable comments from people with all sorts of carbon race bikes that I thought it would be worth a go.

So if you can hold out, hopefully it'll be a job I get done over the next day or three, and I'll let you know how I get on... including pics, unless I manage to completely c*ck it up.

[edit] BTW I'm running the Model Bs with 23c Gatorskins.
  • ba68
    Phil, that would be great, I think the problem area is going to be around the front mech clamp, the clearance on 23mm tyres is probably only 5mm, at least it is with Conti GP 4000s's. Plus, on a standard, 53t, chain set the front mech clamp is higher and hence closer to the tyre, are you running a compact or a standard?

Looking forward to hearing how you get on Al.
  • PhilPub
    I've got a compact chainset so that shouldn't be an issue. The only reservation I have at the moment is, I watched the instruction video on the website after I placed the order, and it appears as though the compact geometry of the frame could make it a hacksaw job to cut the length of the front of the (rear) guard, which I haven't even got! We'll see.

(Still haven't been delivered yet but I will keep you posted.)
  • Phil - you will have to cut it, but you won't need a hacksaw. It's easy to do with a pair of kitchen scissors. The plastic is pretty soft.
  • PhilPub
    Right, all done. They arrived this afternoon. I did indeed have to chop about 2-3'' off the end of the rear guard, the bread knife was enough for this. Sounds like a bit of a botch job but it looks pretty neat. A fairly fiddly job but nothing too complicated and I'm getting no rub whatsoever. I'm impressed with this because the clearances look incredibly close. Also, what with the bike being stealth black all round I actually think it looks pretty smart. I'll take some pics when the light's better.

All in all, job done, very happy.
  • ba68
    Sounds good, I'll be ordering some tomorrow. Does the rear guard come down past the front mech or did you have to cut it off above it to get it to fit?

Cheers, Al.
  • PhilPub
    Yes, the guard just passes the front mech and I've cut it so that it's almost flush with the junction of the chainstays where they meet the bottom bracket, just floating a couple of mm's above. The cable tie around the seat tube is just touching the top of the bracket for the front mech, so this works out OK.
  • Make sure to use helicopter tape at all contact points, including under the brake bridge and under the fork. Or say goodbye to some paint.
  • PhilPub
    Some pics in case it helps...

007-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

010-1.jpg

011-1.jpg
  • ba68
    Ok, well mine don't fit my Plane X SL Pro, there's not enough clearance under the callipers. I've swapped my usual Conti GP 4000's for some Schwalbes which have a lower profile and now the front fits, I haven't done the back yet.