Roof bar options

DickBarton
DickBarton Posts: 201
edited November 2011 in MTB general
Hi,

I've got my hands on a 2011 3dr Suzuki Swift that has fixpoints in the roof. Looking around the web I can't find any supplier of roof bars that makes one that is definitely compatible with the 3-dr Swift...they do them for the 5-dr but not the 3-dr.

As it is fixpoints, I'm guessing I just need the right fixpoint kit for the roof and then any bars will fit (providing they are long enough) - is that pretty much it?

Suzuki do a roof bar system but it's about £170 and I've got various parts from other cars that I reckon I can get almost all of it done, just need the fixpoint part of the footpack.

I've tried Thule and MontBlanc and both have said they don't have a kit that will fit as it hasn't been tested.

Don't suppose anyone has a 3dr Swift (2010 or newer) and has roof bars that didn't come from Suzuki? If so, can you give me the details please?

Thanks.
The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Sorry mine is a 2007. But Thule make them for Suzuki.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Hi,

Yes, but they haven't made one for the 3-dr...apparently it might be different from the 5-dr...I can't tell the difference myself but also can't find any supplier that has a range of fittings that are willing to let me try them...it'll be an expensive mistake if I buy the wrong type...ah well, my quest continues...

As it is just me and the bike, it goes in the back (Whyte 146 only just fits in the back with fork and bars hard against the front seats!), but if I want to take me+other(s) then I can only get 1 bike in the back, so the roof bars are being considered.
  • nicklouse
    What mounts are there on the body?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Fixpoints, so they have fixings in the roof gutter...not got them opened yet due to not thinking to try that!!!
  • nicklouse
    As the 5door also uses fix points I don't see how they will be that different.

I would be popping down to the Suzuki dealer and have a look.
  • Yup, heading there soon...ta.
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    I've just bought Cruz bars from this site http://www.roofbox.co.uk

I had a look and they list various options for the 3 door Swift, cruz among them. I used to swear by Thule but my dad tried these cruz ones and reckons they're ok and I can get a full set for less than it would cost me to get feet and mounting kit for my thule stuff.

I bought Thule for my last car as I thought I'd be able to swap the fitting kit when I changed cars, actually the bars themselves are the only bits that i can transfer and it'll cost me about £80 to to fit them to the new car, so I thought s0d it and bought a brand new set of the Cruz bars for about £30 less.

They've not arrived yet so I can't say if they're rubbish quality or not.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • nicklouse
    t0pc4t wrote:
    I've just bought Cruz bars from this site http://www.roofbox.co.uk

I had a look and they list various options for the 3 door Swift, cruz among them. I used to swear by Thule but my dad tried these cruz ones and reckons they're ok and I can get a full set for less than it would cost me to get feet and mounting kit for my thule stuff.

I bought Thule for my last car as I thought I'd be able to swap the fitting kit when I changed cars, actually the bars themselves are the only bits that i can transfer and it'll cost me about £80 to to fit them to the new car, so I thought s0d it and bought a brand new set of the Cruz bars for about £30 less.

They've not arrived yet so I can't say if they're rubbish quality or not.

Mmm they know a lot

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehs ... ype=407568

say there is nothing for 3 door swifts from thule fro 2005 on. I have thule on my 2007 car. and there was big body change in 2010.

I would not be ordering from them without discussing the issues.
  • t0pc4t
    fair enough, if they send the wrong ones for my CRV I will be sending them straight back for a refund with costs as I've used their website to select them.

Another reason I steered away from Thule is that I checked them out and saw they thought my car had gutters when the CRV clearly has fixing points.

We'll see.
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Have tried that site, but there is no mention of any bars that would fit my car - they do them for the Switft in 3-dr and 5-dr but none for my particular model a mk6 2011 Swift 3-dr...the Cruz stuff would be handy but they don't do anything for my model/varient of car. Thule is expensive for what it is, but they do seem to have more stuff that might work...

Looking at the Halfords site, I put my reg in and it recognises my exact model of car including being a 3-dr and it suggests the fixing kit for a 5-dr will work as well...but they only offer Thule stuff...but I'll see what is on offer for the 5-dr model from other companies.
  • t0pc4t
    good luck with it, I've always stuck with Thule in the past and so am feeling like this Cruz stuff may have been a bit of a risk but we'll see.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6