Decent? No, Great LBS?

fazzini
fazzini Posts: 8
edited November 2011 in MTB general
In Newcastle and plenty of bike shops, however:
Edinburgh Bikes - rude; don't listen or care; unhelpful - with the exception of 1 member of staff who is always busy - not surprisingly.
Evans (@ Metrocentre) - staff not very helpful and did not know an awful lot about mountain bikes - maybe I was just unlucky?.
MSteels - useless buerk - 'nah mate you definitely need this size I'll order it for you......' not even sat on a bike that size to see?????? No-one else around to save me.
Cycle centre - couldn't give a XXXX for anything else.....

Where to try next???? Help needed because like a lot of folks, I guess, I'd like to talk to a human who is knowledgable and cares about what I need not the sales target.......it's not like I don't want to spend my money in your shop.

Any recommendations please??

Comments

• chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    am surprised to hear that about edinburgh bikes,maybe its the location? ive always found the one in leeds to be very good,though sometimes you may be waiting a while if they are busy,the staff there have always been very helpfull
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Any idea on what make of bike your after or like the look of? There is a couple of good LBS near me, not too far from Newcastle if you can drive or get a lift.

I bought my mtb from evans and have to agree they are not the best, but they were the cheapest so what do you do :roll:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • I drive Andy so that's no problem. Bikescene in Guisborough was recommended but was hoping for somewhere closer. Which shops are near you? I'm just looking around at the moment in regards to make - Evans have plenty of stock and you can test them out for size - agree on prices as well esp for 2011 models.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Ok see if these are any good to you, although they are not big I have used them all and found them to be helpful.

Iron horse Darlington for Cube, Giant and last time I was in Santa Cruz

Bikesport Darlington for Specialized and GT

Cycleways Newton Aycliffe for Trek and Giant

Red ape bikes Bishop Auckland for Lapierre and Saracen

Don't think any of these have great websites, there is also Westbrook cycles at Stokesley http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/

Although these may be a bit far away for you, hope that is some help
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Thanks for the info Andy - a great help!