Need help on what carbon wheels to buy for TT

gdeas
gdeas Posts: 3
edited November 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi All,
trying to decide on which is the best carbon tubular wheels for next years TT sesaon, I am 14 yrs old and have been racing TT's for a couple of years, Looking at Planet X wheels and can't decide to go for the 50mm front and 82mm rear, or the deeper profile 82mm/101mm set. if there is anyone out there that has done TT's on these wheels then i would be glad to hear your comments.

Thanks

T.Deas Scotland : :D

Comments

• tremayne
    tremayne Posts: 378
    You have to decide how windy its likely to be and whether if you went 82/101 (or similar) there is any sort of fall back option - ie if its really windy.

You haven't said - but if you are running tri bars (I'm guessing you are) then the whole wind/safety thing becomes even more important.

I run a 90 front and full disc on the back. On occasion, I can honestly say that I've serioulsy scared myself and been out in conditions that just weren't appropriate. One particular gust nearly put me into a ditch and at that point - you have to take a bit of a reality check!

I don't think your choice for the rear is too important. Its the front which will cause probs - esp if you are down on the tri bars.

Personal advice - go 82/101 but when the conditions dictate, be sensible enough to swap out the 82 front for a standard road rim.

(totally agree with Planet X as a good option, fantastic value and a good choice)

Best of luck!
  • gdeas
    gdeas Posts: 3
    Hi Tremaye,
    thanks for the advice, when I phoned planet x they advised the same, yes I have a set of itm tribars on the front, will be going for the 82/101 option.

Cheers

T.Deas
  • ben16v
    ben16v Posts: 296
    i have 82/101 planet x on my stealth although i have only use the bike twice, when it was windy(40+) in bala tri i used my normal front wheel 36mm but it was the first time i`d used the bike - i have now bought a 50mm PX front for windy days but will still use the rear as i havent noticed the wind on that too much
    i used the 82 in the sandman tri and it was still windy 25mph and i had a couple of issues but nothing that would stop me using it again
    i am 85kg though so i think that will make a difference in the wind
    but yes i would recommend them and havent noticed any flex issues etc
    i need more bikes
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I got scared witless once with a 88mm front in a TT. It had a picture of Anne Widdicome on it.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • tremayne
    tremayne Posts: 378
    That would do it!