Tusher Posts: 2,762
edited November 2011 in Pro race
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... rocks.html

A potential disaster. Discuss.

(have I beaten Iain then?)

Comments

• eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    Companies struggling to make profits in a tough environment cut spending on 'fluff' projects first and I'm afraid women's cycling is exactly that as almost no one watches it.

Pooley complains that a womens team is peanuts but she isn't going to ride for free is she, so it ain't going to cost peanuts and it ends up an expense that is hard to justify. Women's pro cycling isn't a charity.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Few watch women's cycling because few have the chance.

I've said it before, but the UCI have the power to ensure that any team, in order to gain a license, must also have a women's team. Cuddle Bob and JV have done very well in supporting their women's teams, but with BigMat pulling out, it was the final straw for Garmin. And women's racing being on the same (shortened) courses as the men's, which would make televising the events simpler.

As Emma Pooley has said, Where are Sky?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Tusher wrote:

(have I beaten Iain then?)

It's not hard on this monstrosity.

JV has said they're not cutting riders, but the program. Folks will still get paid.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Tusher wrote:
    Few watch women's cycling because few have the chance.

I've said it before, but the UCI have the power to ensure that any team, in order to gain a license, must also have a women's team. Cuddle Bob and JV have done very well in supporting their women's teams, but with BigMat pulling out, it was the final straw for Garmin. And women's racing being on the same (shortened) courses as the men's, which would make televising the events simpler.

In Australia, the TV station SBS (google 'SBS Cycling Central') provides a fair amount of exposure to womens cycling so my opinion is formed on having viewed it. Womens track and Mtb downhill are generally entertaining and exciting to watch and enjoyable but with the odd exception, the remainder doesn't make interesting viewing (in my opinion). Of course some mens racing falls into the same 'bad viewing' category (and I go to make the tea :shock: ) but it tends to occur less often. The womens road racing argument has been done to death, one thing is certain, it needs a more considered approach and strategy from all concerned if it is to improve it from its current situation.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    Tusher wrote:

The problem here is that when ever anyone sees a well known British female cyclist (whether Pooley or Pendleton) on TV they already have a Sky logo on their jersey because we only see them in GB kit. So where is the incentive to invest?

Now there may be plans to launch a Sky women's team (although I doubt it). If there are, they may be waiting for a time when the exclusion of Cooke doesn't raise many questions.
    Twitter: @RichN95