Split in tyre - when would you change it?

paul_or
paul_or Posts: 156
edited December 2011 in Workshop
Today I rode some lanes which were covered in mud from the sugar beet harvest. Every year I repeat 'Bloody farmers' to myself when this happens! Anyway, predictably, I then got a puncture in the front tyre and luckily had all my tyre changing kit with me.

I run a Cube Streamer with Ultremo ZX - ridden three tims so far!! And the front tyre now proudly sports a small split from the shard of flint which pierced it and caused the puncture.

I'd guess the split is about as big as this capital I here - about 3mm long. But under 100 psi of pressure, it is slightly distended.

I've ordered a new Michelin Krylion Carbon to replace it as I'm playing safe - I don't like the idea of the front tyre splitting open on a 25 mph descent. But is there anything I could do to repair it, i.e a glued patch on the inner surface? It could maybe then be used as a spare tyre? Or should I play safe and junk it?
visit my blog for more excitement

http://www.flammerouge.co.uk

Comments

• Ah Ultermo's. I'm just about to bin a new pair that got punctured the other weekend (came with the bike). Same size cut as yours. Wasn't until I span the tyre round that I noticed the 4" split! :shock:

Can't wait to get the trusty Vittoria Rubino Pro 3's on.
  • baznav73
    baznav73 Posts: 111
    To be fair to scwalbe the ultremo is a top level race tyre which shouldn't realy be used on the lanes in winter, however you could buy a pack of park tool emergancy tyre boots which come in a pack of 3 cut a piece of and stick it over the cut on the inside and they are more rigid then puncture patches and you will get loads more SUMMER use out of your expensive ultremo.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    To be fair to the rest of the world, Ultremos are utterly, utterly rubbish whether its winter, spring, summer or autumn. They've split more times than the Judean People's Popular Front.

Chuck them in next door's garden and get some Pro Race 3/4s.
  • 1_reaper
    1_reaper Posts: 322
    Never had a problem with them in over 5,000 miles apart from wear. Now using Durano plus for the winter bike they roll well
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    On the front hey? Imagine what would happen if it blows on a decent! Put a set of Durano/Krylion/GP4/Rubino Pro tech's on until the summer and replace the split tyre;-) I'm gonna try some Pro 4 race's in the summer, didn't get on with Pr 3's but 4's sound more durable if you choose the standard version.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Agree, running a lightweight performance-oriented tyre on country lanes in winter is asking for trouble. Buy something more durable for winter.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • paul_or
    paul_or Posts: 156
    Thanks for the replies. I am fitting a krylion to replace the damaged tyre, which will go in the bin, although I rather like the idea of chucking it in next door's garden!! :D
    visit my blog for more excitement

http://www.flammerouge.co.uk
    I've been riding Conti 4 seasons for 3 winters now on the sh1te strewn roads round here and have found them to be pretty tough. Only 2 punctures; one a thorn like a javelin, and one snakebite cos I hit a pothole in the dark and had been too lazy to pump the tyres up before going out. They are 25s though.

Yossie's extremely tolerant neighbour must have an immense garden; he's been chucking stuff in there for years.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    +1 for the Conti 4 Seasons