Need a Pack for a day

3litre hydro
Parts/pump/tube and bits pocket
soft pocket
Stuff pocket
Main pocket
waist straps (with pockets)
Compression straps

Thinking of OSPREY Raptor 10....is there anything better?
Norco Aurum 2 2012
Spec Stumpy Expert EVO 2011
Scott Scale 50 2011
Scott Speedster S30 2010

Comments

• welsh_14
    welsh_14 Posts: 259
    I currently use the Camelbak H.A.W.G and couldn't recommend it enough! its perfect for fitting everything in for an all day ride in the cheviots and over the border where you need to take spare layers etc. have had no problem fitting everything in and have always found it extremely comfortable.
  • My Camelbak Scudo fits all of those requirements.

I think you'll find there are a thousand others out there that all fit that description too. Best thing to do is try a few on for size and see how they feel.
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    +1 for the HAWG NV (no belt strap pockets though) very functional with loads of room but never feels too big when not full.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    For really long adventures where you need to load up, the HAWG NV is awesome but to be honest I rarely need that amount of space personally so it spends more time in the cupboard.

However the Osprey Viper 13 is just awesome (especially when it came free with a certain subscription ;) ), the pocket layout is spot on and the magnetic attachment for the drink tube is a simple but brilliant idea, shame Camelbak aint taken it on. Depends on what you want to stash, if you want to load up on coats etc then the HAWG is better, if its some grub and some tools then something like the Viper.

You dont neccesarily need to carry loads on a day trip.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,549
    +2 for the HAWG. I use mine for full days out and for the communte into work. Does the job well, my only gripe is that some of the zip 'pulls' have fallen off.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • im trying to decide between the HAWG NV and the Mule, the mule being cheaper and looking better, but alot smaller than i expected. The HAWG is only 3 inches bigger in height and can hold a bit more stuff. Better to have more space than not enough?
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • +3 for the HAWG
    2011 Cube Fritzz http://sdrv.ms/Z8xkDa
    2012 Zesty 714 http://sdrv.ms/YgJV4u
  • Osprey raptor 18 user here and I'm v impressed with it. Well thought out with the various compartments and as said above the magnetic clip for the bladder is a nice touch. Had a camelback mule before the osprey and it was nowhere near as comfy to wear as the raptor.
    When you go to the ground you are in my world. My world is the ocean. I am the shark and most people don't know how to swim
  • I have a Raptor 14 and i love it. Super comfy and the magnetic clip is the business! The bladder is cool and works really well. Its a bugger to clean tho as its much harder to get inside, due to the built in spine and carry arm. However, its a minor hindrance IMO. I fit two tubes, a bike lock, pump, tools, 3 litres of water, a Nothface Jacket that is not bike specific (so its pretty big), shades, phone, keys, wallet, first aid and food. Its a tight fit due to the jacket but its do-able and it remains comfortable. The lid lock is ace! Waist pockets are ok for boiled sweets and gum etc, but thats all as they dont lock and stuff can fall out.

As an all day pack i think the 10 is too small judging by my 14.
  • rhialto
    rhialto Posts: 277
    I have a Camelbak Mule, a Dakine Apex and an Osprey Escapist. They are all excellent packs but I found that the Osprey is more comfortable and fits my back better than the others. I didn't try the Camelbak or Dakine packs before purchasing them. I wish I had - I could have saved some money.
  • Raptor 14. Very good. Even for long xc rides you can fit a surprising amount of food and equip. Very comfortable.
  • 1996 GT Borrego - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Expert - 2010 Specialized enduro expert