Fulcrum 5 vs Mavic Aksium

infopete
infopete Posts: 878
edited November 2011 in Road buying advice
I'm going to buy my winter wheels at last.

It's a choice between Fulcrum 5's or Mavic Aksium at the moment.

I'm 95kilos and I want something that will cope with my weight and never being cleaned (well cleaned about Easter time)
Oh and please remember to click on my blog:

http://americanbicyclegroup.wordpress.com

The more clicks I get the higher it creeps up the google radar :)

Comments

• Fulcrums.

I'm the same weight as you and found the Mavics to be really, really flexy.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • dbg
    dbg Posts: 846
    Don't buy Fulcrum 5s you can't get tyres on or off and I had freehub problems with mine too - Ksyriums are bombproof
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Fulcrums...ridden 5k on mine and not needed a spoke replaced or wheel trued once. Yes tyres can be a bit of an issue but I've fixed 4/5 punctures road side with them without to much of a problem.

BOMB PROOF!

Edit: In fact I've been so impressed I've brought some Fulcrum 1's today! You don't spend more money with a pants company/product do you!
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    I wore out a Fulcrum 5 back wheel rim, then bought an Aksium to replace it.

Both perfectly fine, no big issues fitting tyres, I would let cost be the deciding factor.

I did strip down the freehub on my Aksium last week, never took a freehub apart before, and what I thought might involve springs and pawls scattering everywhere, turned out to be a piece of pish.
  • daveb99
    daveb99 Posts: 273
    edited November 2011
    Fulcrums, I have a set of 2011 ones and they are excellent wheels for the money. Extremely smooth, and stiff, and they look good as well. They just spin and spin.

No problems at all with tyres, I fitted 2 x Conti GP4000S tyres easily, no levers required, and those tyres are supposed to be hard to fit too. I've since changed to Gatorskins as the GPs are now on my other bike, and again no problems with fitting.

Pics of them on my Spesh Allez Elite here (they look even better without the mudguards!)
    viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12812742

You can get them from Merlin cycles for £159 less 10% = £144 - proper bargain!
    2012 Scott CR1 SL
    2013 Dolan Dual
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
  • Fulcrum 5s here as well, and like DavidJB, bombproof. Ive had a front go down a stormdrain with a hell of a bang :? Not a spoke loose, nothing, i was convinced i'd knackered it...not a mark.

Be aware, Fulcrums reommendations for rider weight is...
    Over 109kg...advise you not to use them
    Over 82kg....inspect regularly and be vigilant
    Under 82kg..no problem.

Laughably easy to strip down the hubs, a locking tube either side, an inner axle, a spacer and the cartridge bearings...thats it. Freehub comes off really easily too.

I have Gators on mine and until you find the right method of getting the tyres on, it was an absolute mare, but once youve got the knack, they're tight, but not impossible.
  • infopete
    I've ordered the Mavics from Merlin at 136 quid delivered :)

• infopete
    Wow, ordered yesterday afternoon, arrived at 8:30 this morning, well done Merlin Cycles.