Potentially fatal problem

Mudrush
Mudrush Posts: 19
edited December 2011 in Workshop
Hi guys,

Awkward problem with my wheel and rear mech wondering if anyone can enlighten me

Firstly I run a 10 speed campag with xenon rear mech and miche ambrosio wheelset set up for campy

Firstly a specific section of my freehub has a particular coil and ratchet mechanism, looks like 3 freely moving teeth surrounded by a piece of metal wire and has sharded off. Put it back together and it seems fine makes a bit of a rattle, is this dangerous?

Secondly my rear mech is also slacking and jumping when I stop pedalling abruptly, should I just change it? Ive already dismantled the rear jockey and put it back together and adjusted the rear mech but this somehow doesnt aid it?

Cheers for any help thats given if its a bit of stick on my end

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Sounds like like the freehub needs a looking at. Sounds like the spring is more damaged than you think. And it is not allowing the Paul's to release correctly. The mech will be fine.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    I think this is the part you need:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... 0000000000

CAMPCASZ270000000000_1_zoom.jpg
  • Cheers guys thats the exact part.

Ive given myself a treat tho and replaced them with a new set of wheels, it also keeps it simple!

Thanks for the help it was bang on!
  • If they are Miche hubs, I see JE James sells freehubs.

The tugging on the rear mech would have been caused by the freehub trying to continue to rotate with the rear hub as you were coasting. It would then be dragging the chain round, so it would go slack on the chain stay, potentially dangling into the spokes and taking you off the bike. That could be pretty ugly, as its only going to happen when you start freewheeling which is likely on a fast descent.

These cheap light weight hubs leave a lot to be desired when it comes to freehubs and safety. Best off checking availability of freehubs before buying a cheap wheelset.
  • lmrt
    lmrt Posts: 935
    +1 Hoojammy. This ten a penny spring is, arguably, the most critical piece of kit to help move you forward. Break a chain and you can fix it, at least to get you home, with the right multi tool, but break this hidden spring and you are dead in the water. I had similar problems a couple of years ago on Lands End to John O'Groats. Luckilly a spare wheel was available or else it would have been game over. I cannot express how disappointed I am with the vulnerability of this spring. OK, I realise that they don't break every day, but you can have a multi thousand pound bike that becomes useless for the sake of a super cheap part!
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    That's Campag for you.
    They use crappy springs that break, but they do sell the springs, and they are reasonably straightforward to fit.
    Shimano on the other hand use springs that hardly ever fail, but if they do you've got to throw the freehub body away and buy another one, as the parts aren't sold and anyway your chances of getting inside to fit them are minimal.

It's just the same with STI vs Ergolevers.
  • That's Campag for you.

cant you read? -he said the hubs were ,made by Miche

thats Miche not Campagnolo

Got it?
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    It is also a common device found in many hubs. ;)
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • That's Campag for you.

cant you read? -he said the hubs were ,made by Miche

thats Miche not Campagnolo

Got it?

Fair do's so it is but the Khamsin and Vento also have this same crappy little pawl spring which breaks quite easily. :shock: