evans stage 2 service

kamil1891
kamil1891 Posts: 658
edited November 2011 in Road buying advice
Does anyone have any experience with their stage 2 service?

I know they replace the cables and the bar tape, but is that included in the price or I have to purchase these seperately? Should I be worry about any "dodgy worn out bits" that come up just after I leave my bike with them?
My bike is only 6months old and I did about 4k miles since June, so I don't expect any part of it to be worn (I have changed the tyres already), maybe except the chain.
I'm mostly concerned about trueing my front wheel, which is pretty well out of true and I have 20% off voucher, so I thought it could be worth the price as I'm not confident with the bottom bracket, headset, cables works myself :D

cheers

Comments

• 4k miles? I'd happily pay for worn chain/cables/tyres/tape etc after that ... If you do half that again before Easter a new cassette wouldn't be an ask IMO ...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I cant see the point in replacing cables unless there is something wrong with them. I've only ever replaced when I've rebuilt bikes up, and even then sometimes I've had enough cable to swap the groupset from one bike to the other intact. And I've never snapped a gear or brake cable in 30 years of riding.

Chain is worth replacing.

Bar Tape - if it needs doing. Sometimes a scrub brings it up really nicely - depending on the tape and the colour.

Wheel truing - unless its a major buckle - you can true a wheel in about 2 minutes. Buy a spoke key and watch a clip on youtube.
  • Well, my front wheel is badly untrue due to a crash. In the rear wheel there is a noticable hub play though.. My rear derailleur cable is a bit rugged so I would like to replace that one at least and the bar tape also snapped in the hoods area when I was sprinting in the drops, so I had to tape it. Therefore, I think new bar tape would also be not a bad idea. In addition proper drivetrain cleaning, bottom bracket and headset as I quite a few rides which I ended up totally soaked.

With my lack of skills I would never be able to do this tasks.

Any reviews of Evans stage 2 service by the way? How do their mechanics perform ?:)