Duty on bike parts from abroad?

dieselgeezer
dieselgeezer Posts: 231
edited November 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi,
Has anyone bought bike parts from US, Taiwan, Hong Kong etc?
What sort of duty, VAT, charges do you get stumped for? Is it hit or miss or do you always pay? I'm thinking specifically of bits I can't get in UK.
Many thanks
-- "I am but a spoke in the wheel of life" -- Ghandi

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Hong Kong / China - never been charged any import duty / VAT. My new front light arrived today from HK! :)

USA always seems to get picked up though - add around 25% to the price and that should be near (small items and its not worth buying from the US due to handling charges which seem to be fixed rather than a percentage)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Typically 8% duty compounded with 20% vat on each consignment which includes shipping costs - depends on what the Customs declaration says too. Some get charged, others not. Royal Mail add £8 for handling too. Waiting for 3 custom titanium frames from China..hope they arrive the day HMRC are on strike?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Parts 4.8% give or take a few.1

Full bikes 14%

Then there is the vat and a possible handling charge from the couriers.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPort ... e=document
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Monty Dog wrote:
    Typically 8% duty compounded with 20% vat on each consignment which includes shipping costs - depends on what the Customs declaration says too. Some get charged, others not. Royal Mail add £8 for handling too. Waiting for 3 custom titanium frames from China..hope they arrive the day HMRC are on strike?

Where did you order the frames? I've been mulling this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/J-L-Titanium-ro ... 415dd7bd72 but would like downtube lever bosses.