cleaning your chain

louthepoo
louthepoo Posts: 223
edited March 2012 in MTB beginners
Although I'm prepeared to get shot down in flames here's my post ride procedure for cleaning the bike -

Jetwash bike down,
Squirt muc off all over,
Jetwash off,
Squirt GT85 on the moving parts (bar the brakes)
Rotate the chain while holding a rag on it,
Add more GT85 to the moving parts.

Is this enough to protect the chain and gears? Or should I do something extra?
Not sure I can be arsed to remove the chain to clean it every time
Riding a Merida FLX Carbon Team D Ultralite Nano from Mike at Ace Ultra Cycles, Wednesfield, Wolverhampton 01902 725444

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't go near a jetwash.
    Don't randomly spray GT85 or similar on the bike.
    Most 'moving' parts either don't need oiling, or need lubing properly (headset etc)

Lube things that actually need lubing with the correct lube - only the chain needs very frequent lubing.
    I use wax lube (Squirt). Gunk doesn't build up.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Aim Fire!!

Do as Cooldad says.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    I hose mine down using a nozzle on the end (but not as forcefull as a jetwash). Then squirt overt with Muc-Off and then rub down with a car sponge. It makes just a few squirts of Muc-Off clean the hole bike. Then another hose down.
    Then I take off the chain and drop it in a tin (well a Christmas sweet box - you know the ones) of kerosene - this is heating oil, taken out of our tank. Then it sits in this all week until I'm ready to use the bike again. It then gets cleaned and lubed by just shaking the tin around. Then once back on, I give the chain a quick squirt of chainsaw oil and I'm off!

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Hose bike down, spray with Muc off, work around with soft brush or sponge then rinse off, dry bike with old towel.

Then spray whole bike (apart from brakes) with Muc off Bike Spray. For the chain I use a Park Tool chain cleaning device.

Lube everything (with correct lube) then go and get it dirty all over again :roll: :lol:
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    jet wash a big no no
    personally i wouldnt go near gt 85 or wd40...

hose mucoff or simlar i use fenwicks. sponge and brushes. hose off again

chain baths are pretty good for cleaning the chain or the tin method i use both.. tub with degreaser in and shake. you will be suprised at the sat that come out your chain....
    rinse with chain with water then dry with cloth and lube...
  • Cheers for the advice, just one thing - why isn't it advisable to use the power washer?

And cooldad - I don't randomly spray GT85 it does say I spray it on moving parts.

I'll change how I do it then, allthough removing the chain is a ballache every time!
    Riding a Merida FLX Carbon Team D Ultralite Nano from Mike at Ace Ultra Cycles, Wednesfield, Wolverhampton 01902 725444
  • 1mancity2
    Power washer has too much pressure and will eventually damage, shock seals and bearings.

Regarding the chain get a chain cleaner that way you can leave the chain on.
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    louthepoo wrote:
    I'll change how I do it then, allthough removing the chain is a ballache every time!

Get a powerlink for your chain. I can remove the chain in seconds (literally). Then makes it easier to clean the rear derailleur jockey wheels too.
    The powerlink is one of the best additions to my bike.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I just have an old rag rather than a chain cleaner. Pray with gt 85, grip chain with old rage in hand, spin chain for a bit. Lube. Works for me.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    benpinnick wrote:
    I just have an old rag rather than a chain cleaner. Pray with gt 85, grip chain with old rage in hand, spin chain for a bit. Lube. Works for me.

Hallelujah and praise the lord of lubrication.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • 1mancity2
    cooldad wrote:
    benpinnick wrote:

Hallelujah and praise the lord of lubrication.

Thats a new name for it and you must be very angry!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Nothing at all wrong with jetwashers, as long as you keep the power spray away from the bits that don't like jetwashing- basically anything with a bearing in it or a seal on it. But that's a lot of stuff.

For cleaning chain- take it off the bike, throw it in a tub of paraffin/white spirit, shoogle it about, hang it up to dry for a wee bit (give it a wipe down), relube, refit. That'll give you the cleanest chain, and the best lubed chain, and it's cheap, and fast, and simple.

(after cleaning, let the paraffin settle then pour off the clean stuff into another jar and reuse it- lasts forever)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    i always take the chain off to clean it thoroughly.
    soak in an old water bottle with some degreaser
    then wash with a brush using fairy liquid
    thorough rinse
    dry it with an old meguairs watermagnet towel
    hang it up, dry it more
    then lube from top to bottom with epic ride
    then hang it the other way and lube again with epic ride
    then wipe off excess and re-fit to a pre-cleaned drive train.

incidently taking the cassette off takes 5mins if you have the right tools and is much easier to clean off the bike.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Northwind wrote:
    Nothing at all wrong with jetwashers, as long as you keep the power spray away from the bits that don't like jetwashing- basically anything with a bearing in it or a seal on it. But that's a lot of stuff.

+1

I always use a power washer but it has an adjustable nozzle and it's turned down so there's just enough power to blow the crud off. Saves loads of time with some help from Muc Off and as Northwind says, as long as you take care around bearings and seals is really not a problem imo. GT 85 is great for bringing the 'back to black' shine on bars etc but I only use it on my chain when it's wet and I don't have time to do a proper clean and lube. Does a good job of preventing rust from forming.
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Why spray GT85 on all moving parts, what makes you think everything needs to be lubricated? Do you know if you're even lubricating them correctly.

GT85 is a crap lubricant anyway, if you can even call it a lube. To clean a chain, do as Northwind said or else.

Also just spraying on Muc Off isn't going to be the best way of cleaning a bike, you need to aggitate the dirt so use a soft brush or sponge to clean the mud off etc. Muc Off is also overpriced, especially if you're coating the whole bike in it, it'll cost a small fortune cleaning it everytime. You'd be better off with something like Fenwicks which you dilute.

Oh and also when you say a jetwash, do you mean an actual jetwash/powerwasher with a ludicrously high PSI output or just a hose and a nozzle on a low setting which probably won't do much damage. I use a Nomad 18V power washer, its designed for bikes in mind and so although its a 'jet/power washer' it wont be a high enough PSI to damage bearings (well it certainly hasn't too date.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    incidently taking the cassette off takes 5mins if you have the right tools and is much easier to clean off the bike.
    unless you have a hope pro 2 rear hub and the cassette has scored the freehub.....

after i cleaned my bikes and chamoised it dry i use pedros bike lust (silicone based polish) this gives the bike a nice shine, and makes it easier to clean next time as the mud does'nt stick as bad... also use it on the fork seals as it's silicone based.....
  • Go on then. I'll bite. GT85 is (amongst other things) a water displacer. So spraying it after washing would seem a reasonable idea.

Is it just that you worry about its use for maintenance purposes (read lubricant) that is bad or do you have any specific reasons to say its a bad idea?
  • cooldad
    Are you talking to anyone in particular?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • stev68
    stev68 Posts: 109
    Ijust hose it off,wipe down with kitchen roll,after every ride especially this time of year.got one of them blingy kmc gold chains and been advised not to degrease,apparently it removes all the good stuff in the links,so I just brush all the cack off with a gear brushe,and Relube with finishline wet,
    Told ya itll hurt!
  • Missus bought me a Muc Off Doc to clean my chain for Christmas. Used it yesterday, worked a treat. Would definitely recommend it.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/muc-off-chain-d ... n-cleaner/
  • I thought about getting one of these chain cleaning devices but heard they were a bit poo. I've been cleaning mine with a brush after every ride and removing it every month for a degrease in a tin and lube
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I have the park tools chain cleaner device, brilliant piece of kit.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    I put mine on a jar of Muc off, leave it 5 min, then spin it around for a minute. Then empty, fill with water and spin around and empty, repeat until water after spin is pretty clean. Then wipe down chain and spray with gt85. Then wipe off excess and hang up next to bike for the next ride.
    Riding with a dirty chain is asking for trouble imo.
  • Northwind
    That's the right idea but wrong cleaner, try it with paraffin- much better.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    Paraffin (kero to us Aussies) you say...hmm...well I'll have to try it then...
  • tiny_pens wrote:
    Go on then. I'll bite. GT85 is (amongst other things) a water displacer. So spraying it after washing would seem a reasonable idea.

I have to say that sounds reasonable to me, and often after a wet ride I do give my chain a wipe down and skoosh of WD40, with the intention of giving it another skoosh of lube later on. But then I always forget to lube it...so that plan never works very well - but that's just me.

In my own experience though, I never seem to get it right. And dropping it in a suitable cleaner/degreaser until your next ride probably isn't a bad idea. The missus might have something to say with all the tubs of kerosene lying about though..
  • tiny_pens wrote:
    Go on then. I'll bite. GT85 is (amongst other things) a water displacer. So spraying it after washing would seem a reasonable idea.

I have to say that sounds reasonable to me, and often after a wet ride I do give my chain a wipe down and skoosh of WD40, with the intention of giving it another skoosh of lube later on. But then I always forget to lube it...so that plan never works very well - but that's just me.

In my own experience though, I never seem to get it right. And dropping it in a suitable cleaner/degreaser until your next ride probably isn't a bad idea. The missus might have something to say with all the tubs of kerosene lying about though..
    don't women ALWAYS have something to say? :) silence is a crime with my missus!
  • Northwind
    agg25 wrote:
    Paraffin (kero to us Aussies) you say...hmm...well I'll have to try it then...

Ah, looking at my post it wasn't very complete... Best way is, shake it around in a tub of paraffin/kerosene (diesel and white spirit also work). If it's very dirty, you might want to repeat this with clean paraffin. Then, just let it air dry- no reason to wash it in water.

Once you're done, leave the paraffin to settle- the dirt will sink to the bottom and you can draw off the clean stuff just by pouring it into another tub. If you're careful, the wastage is very low
    Uncompromising extremist
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I leave my chain in white spirit for a few days, give it a jiggle with an old toothbrush etc. Hang it to dry for a few days, then soak in engine oil (Castrol GTX or Mobil 1) for another couple of days. Then hang to drain for two more days and a quick wipe with a rag before refitting. Chain runs like it is new.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • PaulBox wrote:
    I leave my chain in white spirit for a few days, give it a jiggle with an old toothbrush etc. Hang it to dry for a few days, then soak in engine oil (Castrol GTX or Mobil 1) for another couple of days. Then hang to drain for two more days and a quick wipe with a rag before refitting. Chain runs like it is new.
    How often do you do that? Every ride?