Wiggle victim

glyn_griffiths
glyn_griffiths Posts: 7
edited December 2011 in The bottom bracket
Would you normally expect to find these rattling around in your front wheel rim? https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... e=1&ref=nf

This seems to be a 'prank' wiggle play on customers who spend £1000 on a bike with them!! I bought a Verenti Rhigos from Wiggle, great bike, but terribly put together. After 2 weeks of use a VERY loud creak developed on pedal strokes, I spent hours trying to find route cause replacing parts with a friends bike. I sent it back to wiggle- after 10 days they claimed the headset bearing wasn't sat properly and there were insufficient headset spacers. The bike was returned to me 'fixed' only to begin creaking again on the first hill. I immediately sent it back- they took another 10 days over it and located the problem to the bottom bracket. However, when moving the bike I noticed a bell-like noise coming from the front wheel... I removed the tube to find these 4 pieces of metal inside the rim. This seems a response from the wiggle mechanics for having to fix a problem which has caused me no end of grief. From now on in I'll always use Chain Reaction and buy bikes from my LBS. I'm astounded at the level of customer service I've had at the hands of this large 'respectable' company.

Has anybody else received similar treatment from them?

Comments

• Would you normally expect to find these rattling around in your front wheel rim? https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... e=1&ref=nf

This seems to be a 'prank' wiggle play on customers who spend £1000 on a bike with them!! I bought a Verenti Rhigos from Wiggle, great bike, but terribly put together. After 2 weeks of use a VERY loud creak developed on pedal strokes, I spent hours trying to find route cause replacing parts with a friends bike. I sent it back to wiggle- after 10 days they claimed the headset bearing wasn't sat properly and there were insufficient headset spacers. The bike was returned to me 'fixed' only to begin creaking again on the first hill. I immediately sent it back- they took another 10 days over it and located the problem to the bottom bracket. However, when moving the bike I noticed a bell-like noise coming from the front wheel... I removed the tube to find these 4 pieces of metal inside the rim. This seems a response from the wiggle mechanics for having to fix a problem which has caused me no end of grief. From now on in I'll always use Chain Reaction and buy bikes from my LBS. I'm astounded at the level of customer service I've had at the hands of this large 'respectable' company.

This does happen legitimately with some brands of rim as the locating pins used during the welding-up from flat extruded strip sometimes get left behind in the finished product. Mavic Open Pros used to be prone to it, dunno if they still are.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    I'm just off to get some popcorn.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Ok, back now. I got sweet and salted. Off you go......
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    I blame Wig...erm..oh!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    I blame Wig...erm..oh!

:D

David
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    I was expecting 4 bits of Haribo
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    In a shocking bikeradar first,there is nobody to blame :/
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    GiantMike wrote:
    Ok, back now. I got sweet and salted. Off you go......

Pass me the sweet, I don't do salty...

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    glynn_griffiths can't compete with speedking
    BE WARNED!!!
    DO SOMETHING!!!
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    4 posts and it's Wiggle's fault - it has to be a wind-up?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • There is a saying hereabouts 'without pictures, it didn't happen'.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Oh Dear

*holds face in hands and shakes head* :roll:
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    Would you normally expect to find these rattling around in your front wheel rim? https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... e=1&ref=nf

This does happen legitimately with some brands of rim as the locating pins used during the welding-up from flat extruded strip sometimes get left behind in the finished product. Mavic Open Pros used to be prone to it, dunno if they still are.

David

Yep my Equipes have this. Sounds like the plastic spoke sleeves you used to put on your bike as a kid as the wheel goes round. Driving me nuts.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    It just astounds me that there are still people out there who consider Facebook links an appropriate method of sharing photographs in a forum environment. Chances are the album is set to friends only and even if it is public, how many people are reading BR at lunch where the work filter blocks Facebook?

Add to that ridiculous claims of sabotage by Wiggle mechanics and what we have here, good people, is a Fuck1ng Classic.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • siamon
    siamon Posts: 274
    Sorry about the reaction to your post.

Obviously it is more than right for the you to expect your bike to be of sufficient quality and suitable for it's intended use, however this fact gets ignored so folk can mock and judge.

Any criticism of wiggle, however justifiable, seems to rouse mass hysteria on here. There is another thread with 20 pages of malice and schadenfreunder because a poster was disappointed with the condition of his Wiggle bike.

I had a similar issue, they sent me a Giant Advanced TCR 1 that had been put together by someone who clearly didn't know what they were doing, using some seemingly second hand parts and with several areas of damage including a crack on the top tube. There was no way the bike underwent any form of inspection before it left the warehouse.

Fair enough, we all make mistakes but the manner in which they dealt with it by brushing off any notion that it was their fault left a very sour taste.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    So, siamon, would you say that you blame wiggle then? [/straight face]
  • willhub
    willhub Posts: 821
    I've just sent off a complaint to Wiggle.

About 1 and a half months ago I got a bad cold, felt like I had razors at the back of my throat, now it has become clear this was sabotage by Wiggle after viewing the metal pieces in the bike rim, so this bad cold lasted about 1 week, then all I had is a lingering cough, very slight, so I started cycling, only to be off for ANOTHER week with a bad chest and since then I've not being able to cycle much, so I got into contact with Wiggle, they insisted it was not their fault, but my reaction was, who's fault could it be!?!?!?!?!?!?

I've got another cold now, about a week after getting rid of the bad chest, Wiggle has some answering to do, if they cannot provide sufficient compensation I will be taking this to the small claims court!
  • petemadoc
    Well . . . this is a true story

Once I had a track pump from wiggle that broke 18 months after buying it.

Guess what

They gave me a new one!

However, when I tried to use the new one I realised it has been hijacked, a small explosive had been placed in the pump designed to fire the handle into my face. Lucky escape that one.

That last paragraph I just made up. The rest is true though :D
  • PeteMadoc wrote:
    However, when I tried to use the new one I realised it has been hijacked, a small explosive had been placed in the pump designed to fire the handle into my face. Lucky escape that one.

Something similar genuinely almost happened to me once thanks to a faulty Wrench Force track pump (not, I hasten to add, a Wiggle purchase!!); the barrel over-pressurised for some reason and the handle flew out and hit the ceiling. If I'd been leaning a fraction further forward whilst using it, a broken nose would almost certainly have resulted!

David
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    (not, I hasten to add, a Wiggle purchase!!)
    They were probably involved though, quietly in the background. [/conspiracy]
  • Nuggs wrote:
    (not, I hasten to add, a Wiggle purchase!!)
    They were probably involved though, quietly in the background. [/conspiracy]

Daily Express: "Wiggle involved in Diana assassination plot, claims Al Fayed"

;)

David
  • petemadoc
    HOLY SH1T I'VE JUST REMEMBERED, I HAVE A GENUINE REASON TO BLAME WIGGLE

I bought a bike from Wiggle a few years back and it came with a pedal wrench. One day I was trying to remove the crank side pedal and it was really really stuck. I had to use my full weight on the wrench and then . . .

The wrench snapped, my fist went straight into the large chainring. Lots of blood! :shock:

I BLAME WIGGLE
  • Gazzaputt wrote:
    Yep my Equipes have this. Sounds like the plastic spoke sleeves you used to put on your bike as a kid as the wheel goes round. Driving me nuts.

Spoke sleeves? Luxury!! Round our way we used to use the coloured plastic tags off the wrappers that sliced loaves came in (in the days before they went over to using that coloured sticky tape stuff to seal the bags).

David
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    Is that...Is that really you speedking???
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    siamon wrote:
    Sorry about the reaction to your post.

Obviously it is more than right for the you to expect your bike to be of sufficient quality and suitable for it's intended use, however this fact gets ignored so folk can mock and judge.

Any criticism of wiggle, however justifiable, seems to rouse mass hysteria on here. There is another thread with 20 pages of malice and schadenfreunder because a poster was disappointed with the condition of his Wiggle bike.

I had a similar issue, they sent me a Giant Advanced TCR 1 that had been put together by someone who clearly didn't know what they were doing, using some seemingly second hand parts and with several areas of damage including a crack on the top tube. There was no way the bike underwent any form of inspection before it left the warehouse.

Fair enough, we all make mistakes but the manner in which they dealt with it by brushing off any notion that it was their fault left a very sour taste.

Maybe part of the problem is that criticism of Wiggle seems to come from a disproportionately high number of posters with very low post counts.

If somebody who posts on all sorts of topics in a generally objective manner then knocks Wiggle, the opinions hold validity with many. When a poster just pops up out of the blue and knocks a company with a very good track record, it raises eyebrows.
    Not to say the complaints aren't genuine, but the witness has a credibility issue.
  • siamon
    I've got to disagree with that. The issue is the amount of spite that pours out every time Wiggle is criticised. The know it all attitude when the posters know nothing about the situation is simply indecent, malicious judgemental arrogance. It's directed at people who are quite possible already quite upset, and done with no fear of repercussion (i.e. in a cowardly manner).

Thats why I absolutely love the Crimmey post about his Addict in the Your Bikes section. 99% of the posters thoughtlessly jumped to a conclusion which mocked Crimmey. Even when he posted a picture of his bike at the top of a mountain pass AND a link to his Garmin connect account which clearly shows he is hardcore (i.e 100 miles of hills at +20mph average) the mocking continued. Then he posts a picture of him riding the thing and he looks he was born on it! The clear conclusion should have been that Crimmey is a bike fit genius. But, only when a World Champion stepped in to say he had seen him ride a bike with a similar set up did the hate mob skulk away. Only one person held his hands up and admitted his error.

If you have brought a bike from Wiggle and it was perfect then bully for you. But claiming everybody who has a different story must be lying & therefore mocked and humiliated is completely out of order. It should stop.
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    All together now .. nobody loves me, everybody hates me, I think I'll go an blame wiggle..

Seriously I have used wiggle for the first time this week and did not get the expected haribo, speedybird went thermonuclear about it last night
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    siamon wrote:
    I've got to disagree with that....

With regard to the Wiggle thread, as I recall the OP slated the company on here before dealing with them through their complaints/customer service department, it then spiralled out of control as the OP's story twisted and turned through some genuinely useful responses.

And Crimmey's bike, whilst perfectly set up for him (as endorsed by a World Champion) does look odd so it was bound to get a response - and what a great thread that is.

If you are going to post on an open forum, whether it's a picture of your road bike or a complaint about a retailer then you have to accept that you may not like the tone and content of the responses.

Or something like that.
  • siamon
    Curd, fair enough but I think your contributions to the Crimmey thread prove my point. You submitted numerous posts, none of which could be considered offensive in any way. My point is it goes way too far.

I might post pictures of my bikes, the Roberts is beyond criticism but the other roadie is a super stiff race bike with a rather gentle/inappropriate set up. Should amuse a few people.
  • I don't blame Wiggle for anything in particular, but it does seem to have become something of a 'Jasper-Carrot-running-cucumber joke' amongst some BR posters. I have to confess I have done it in a minor way myself on a couple of occasions - mea culpa.

As a couple of contributors to this (and other threads) have observed, there is a tendency amongst some cyber-warriors to belittle, satirise and frankly rip the p1ss out of anyone who comes on here and naively asks a "dumb" question, make an unlikely claim or blame someone else for their woes. Whilst it can be very amusing (and there are some rapier wits on here), many first-time posters asking genuine questions must be put off forever by the vitriol that occasionally gets spouted. I would wryly observe that in some instances the bravery of someone sitting behind a keyboard (troll or otherwise) might be a little less obvious in the real world - certainly I've seen some chat on here that would have the poster picking up his teeth out where the wild things run.... :wink:

Anyhoo, as to the OP's complaint about the quality (or otherwise), I thought I'd add my own tuppence worth of anecdotal "evidence".... I have a mate who runs a LBS, and - entirely unprompted - said that without a shadow of a doubt, Verenti and Focus bikes were the most common attendees in his workshop for fixes, including cack-handed assembly. Not exactly proof-positive that we should be blaming Wiggle for anything, but certainly adds some credence to the OP's point.

(Sits back and waits for flame-grilling. Popcorn anyone?)
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain