Merlin

welsh_14
welsh_14 Posts: 259
edited November 2011 in MTB general
Back in 2007 I bought a Merlin Malt 2 full bike build.
Its still going strong with some choice upgrades being added as things wear out. Just thought I would find out what peoples opinions of the Merlin frames and builds is. A few years back they seemed to be raved about in magazines etc yet now you hardly ever hear them mentioned.
Did something happen with Merlin or is it just the fact people seem to be moving away from hardtails?
Are they still classed as great value for money like they used to be or are other companies catching up? No-one ever seems to recommend them on here when someone is asking about hardtails to buy so just wondered why this is.

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I think on one, Boardman Cube, Canyon etc challeneged them on the bike value stakes.

The frames are maybe getting a bit dated now?

Still, as wheelbuilders and a general parts shop they get rave reviews.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I blame Wiggle.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • welsh_14
    Yeah their parts/wheelbuilding service is still great and I agree still gets great reviews but the bikes side of things with them and rock lobsters seems to never be mentioned.
    I only thought about it as I cant even remember the last time i saw a Merlin frame while out riding.
    I love mine and to be honest wouldn't change it for the world as I love how it rides and so plan to keep just upgrading it.
    how are the frames getting dated just out of interest?
    why wiggle?!
  • cooldad
    Everything is Wiggle's fault. Global warming, 911, fullysprung.

Just blame Wiggle.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    welsh_14 wrote:
    why wiggle?!
    You need to set aside a couple of hours and enjoy
    BE WARNED!!!!
    and the sequel
    DO SOMETHING!!!!
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • welsh_14
    Amazing that all happened because of one fools complaining thread. has had me in stitches and cheered me up at work :D
  • cooldad
    Good old Speedking. I actually feel sorry for him re reading the Do Something thread.

And all Wiggle's fault.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    :lol:

Back on topic, ignore my 'outdated' comment, I thought I'd read it somewhere, but reviews seem to say nothing of the sort!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    152882.jpg
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Just bought a Malt 4 and it is superb.
    They probably dont get much attention as magazines, & the industry in general, just like to rave and go on about new models and gear like nothing existed before them.
    Thats suites me fine, as I am quite happy to be riding a bike that is a little more unique than the average mass manufactured hardtail.
  • welsh_14
    Good to hear justinjured! I agree it is quite nice to be one of the select club.
    It's just when you know how good they are you wonder why hardly anyone rides them!
    Did you go for any upgrades on it or just keep it standard?
    I think hardtails in general seem to be a dying breed which is a shame.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i have been looking at a merlin frame, not sure what to get though tbh as i only use it to commute really
  • welsh_14
    For the price of the frame you can't go wrong really!
  • Welsh_14 - Just bought the frame after my previous frame developed a crack. With all the parts added to it, it is more or less the same as the Merlin version with all the upgrades.
    Hardtails are great and you get a lot for your money, and for most cross country they are more than adequate.
  • welsh_14
    I've just started upgrading mine, fitted elixir R brakes and a Sid RLT fork so far.
    I think they help you up your skill levels rather than just being able to crash through everything on a full susser. But that's just my opinion!
  • coynie
    coynie Posts: 112
    Did have a Malt 1 & then got a malt4 frame of ebay & swoped everything over & now just put together a malt 1 single speed so yes i like them
    Malt 1
    Malt 4
  • Boardman bikes, canyon to name a few all themselfs offer better value them merlin bikes atm most of the time.

Merlin used to be the "main" quality value package hardtails but now with more companies they arnt.

still good bikes ofc, just not as good or as common as others
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners