Tubeless

gazhurst
gazhurst Posts: 75
edited November 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I've just picked up a set of DT Swiss X420Sls to replace my D445s. The X420s are tubeless ready but what I want to know is do I need different tyres (currently Folding Continental Mountain King 2.2) or can I use these tyres with Stans sealant?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You can
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Great, £15 as opposed to £80 phew...

Next question...is it worth it?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    IMHO no.
    But many will differ.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    IMHO no.
    But many will differ.

Me for one: see posts in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=12811790&p=17302973#p17302973

Each to their own though, I was sceptical before I did it but I think the benefits outweigh the faff. YMMV!
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • Shackster,

I've read your other thread and I understand about the rim tape however the wheels I have already have the blue tape as preinstalled by Specialized. I'm led to believe this serves the same purpose although I dont really understand it.

Is it just a case of my requiring the sealant liquid and away I go?
  • baznav73
    baznav73 Posts: 111
    yes you just need sealant, but not having tubeless tyres they will be a faf to get seated but it will work.
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    gazhurst wrote:
    Shackster,

I've read your other thread and I understand about the rim tape however the wheels I have already have the blue tape as preinstalled by Specialized. I'm led to believe this serves the same purpose although I dont really understand it.

Not quite, as I understand it, you need a rim tape from the tubeless conversion kit, to make a better seal.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    386ka wrote:
    gazhurst wrote:
    Shackster,

Not quite, as I understand it, you need a rim tape from the tubeless conversion kit, to make a better seal.

Wrong.

The blue tape on Specialized tubeless wheels is Roval tuneless rim tape, just add a Roval tubeless valve (or someother tubeless valve of your choosing) and some sealant and you're away.
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    Then again, I was wrong. Thanks for the info.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010