Forks for 09 Stumpjumper comp

davenewcastle1973
davenewcastle1973 Posts: 146
edited November 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I'm looking at buying an 09 Stumpjumper comp however I'm a bit concerned about the front suspension - its a coil Tora with 120 mm travel - ideally I would like something with 140 but this is a bit of a bargain.

If I wanted to upgrade the fork down the line, would I be able to go up to 140 without killing the bike?

I've tried to find the information on line but am struggling - any help, either to answer this or to point me where to look would be very gratefully received!

Thanks

Dave
Ragley mmmBop
Yeti 575

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Personally I wouldn't go to 140. Consider maybe a fox F120 QR15 instead if budget allows. It will be a world apart from the toras. You'll feel like you have loads more travel and control without changing the basic handling.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    benpinnick wrote:
    Personally I wouldn't go to 140. Consider maybe a fox F120 QR15 instead if budget allows. It will be a world apart from the toras. You'll feel like you have loads more travel and control without changing the basic handling.

Agree, a proper 120mm fork will make a big difference! I have Fox Float 120 QR15 and it feels like i have a lot more travel than stated.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Tora 318 or Race is a more controlled fork than the basic foxes, and stiffer too, even in QR format, but of course heavier. Need the RLC really.
  • benpinnick
    supersonic wrote:
    The Tora 318 or Race is a more controlled fork than the basic foxes, and stiffer too, even in QR format, but of course heavier. Need the RLC really.

I hav a set of 318s on an old hardtail. Good for keeping the wheel from hitting the frame. That's about all the good things I have to say about them (other than I got given them for free).
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • 386ka
    supersonic wrote:
    The Tora Race is a nice package, MoCo damper but is a bit heavy. More controlled that the foxes? I don't see how... Stiffer, maybe.
  • A total swerveball then - what about a 09 Trance X3 with 120 Recons - can I go bigger than that with this frame? Just seen it on another site...
    Ragley mmmBop
    Yeti 575
  • 386ka
    Some reckon you can, but this slackens the geometry. The 09 frame is the same frame with year 2010 and 2008, geometry wise anyway. I have seen a member with a longer fork on the forum, can't remember the name...

PS, those who have done this like the change.
  • tofu21
    tofu21 Posts: 359
    I've got a 08 stumpy running 140mm revelations and they are bloody great.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Since its a comp, I think you will get more benefit upgrading the rear can.
  • benpinnick
    diy wrote:
    Since its a comp, I think you will get more benefit upgrading the rear can.

I was assuming it was a hardtail stumpy.... is this the case?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • supersonic
    The 318 damper is the Motion Control damper, as is the race. This is far better than the basic Fox R, and more adjustable than the RL.

If your Tora 318 didn't work properly it needed servicing (and lets be honest, you were given them!). Don't get all this 'is not a proper fork' stuff, heavy stiff chassis yes, but superb internals that really work. Will blow a Fox R into the water on all fronts. (except light weight ;-))

That said I'd have a Rev RLT lol.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Why has it got a tora fork on it in the first place? on the specialized archive its a fox 120 rl, as for fitting a 140mm, the 09 elite had a talas 140 on it,same frame so why not?
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • supersonic
    Is it new (old stock) or 2nd hand?

Stumpjumper hardtails had a max of 120mm stated in the warranty.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    just exactly which stumpy is it? a ht or fs? not clear from first post, but sounds like a fs from his comment about the trance
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011