eBay selling

Kaise
Kaise Posts: 2,498
edited November 2011 in MTB buying advice
Morning all

i have been searching the forum this morning for an answer, but there is so many threads containing the word ebay, that its difficult to find anything!

How long from selling something should you give for someone to pay for something?

I have sold a few things mainly, all low cost and so recently selling my bike through there is new ground. I have the bike down as local collect and the auction ended last night, and i sent the invoice 5 minutes later.

i worry about this shizzle especially when i need the cash to fund my new bike!

any advice welcome!!

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Speak to the buyer. Are they paying cash or paypal? they might just be expecting to give you the cash when they turn up. That's better for you as there are no paypal fees, and the buyer has less protection!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Yeah, go cash on collection for sure. Otherwise if they pick it up, they could later say to Paypal that they hadn't, get the money back, and you'd have no proof they'd taken it. Evil, but possible, and Paypal tends to side with the buyer.

Plus they then have obviously looked it over in front of you and can't claim other damage that appears afterward was down to your postage or whatever.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You sent an invoice and it's buyer collects, did you send a phone number so they could contact you to arrange collection?

If I'm collecting I will usually pay cash on collection unless the seller wants it via paypal, ebay make enough money already!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Kaise
    Cheers for the advice guys

i have just sent a messgae to the buyer including my e-mail addresses and my mobile number so they can contact my to arrange collection and payment.

just have to wait and see
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Usually 5days, unless you state a payment time in the listing, odviously if they are paying on collection its as and when.

Most items I sell are paypal and I usually find if auctions finish before Thursday I don't get payment until Thursday/Friday, payday I think.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    I think the ebay guideline is within 14days, well I know you cannot open a disupte within that window.
    Unless you have stipulated you require immediate payment or within a time frame I don't think 7 days is unfair as you don't know the buyers circumstances (distance/work hours etc)....
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • my experience of selling:

give them two weeks for payment of whatever kind

cash on collection

or paypal if its posted :(

If you're posting always use a recorded service, always always always, at whatever cost (international postage on large items can be pricey), otherwise you have no comeback if the buyer decides to stitch you up. The buyer has to foot the postage bill anyway, so its their choice to bid or not. Make postage very clear in the auction - if they renege then time for negative feedback, and relist.

I much prefer cash on collection, so much easier.
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    in my experience, there are two types of buyers

Those that pay immediately and those that pay after you send them an invoice (this obviously excludes instances where you are paying cash for something, like a car). If they havent paid within a few hours, i usually send an invoice, and that normally gets a payment.

Myself, i pretty much pay for things the minute i have bought/won them.

I think in your case, they prob wont pay for it until they have seen the bike. I bought my Scott frame off ebay and we agreed a price offline and he stopped the auction. I then paid for it when i picked it up.
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    Send an invoice, if they don't pay after 7 days then open a dispute, that usually nudges them into action.
  • Kaise
    cheers for the advice guys, he paid for the bike via bank transfer which cleared and he is picking it up tonight

very trusting of him, but at the end of the day, i know im not going to screw him over and i keep a d-lock in the house if he tries anything in the house!

my next question if i mark the eBay auction as payment recieved and it closes it are they going to ask for a portion of the selling price or is that only applicable to paypal payments?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They will take their fee, which seems reasonable to me. Didn't they already take it when the auction ended?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    They will take their fee, which seems reasonable to me. Didn't they already take it when the auction ended?

You get an invoice from them at month end covering all items you've sold in the month.

My ebay fees are set to be taken directly from my PayPal account and my paypal account funds directly from my bank account so I never really have anything to do with it.

Kaise: FYI, ebay fees vary depending on what method you used to sell the item, how much it went for etc. You should be able to log into your ebay account now though and see what the fee for this is.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sounds right - I know I never actually do anything about it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I must admit I have problems with about 1/3rd of the stuff I sell. Either people wanting to back out, never paying etc. Its a pain and its normally about a month before you can give up and relist. ebay is the classic pay a bit here a bit there etc. It all adds up to about 20% if you list, sell paypal and then withdraw the cash.