69er?

mfereborn
mfereborn Posts: 480
edited November 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I have just discovered this and i am intrigued to say the least.

I have a trek fuel ex8 a very lovely bike, but one of which i feel i am pushing its decending ability a bit too far - it does have more to give but not enough for what i want.

What i am tempted to do though is try switching the standard front wheel and forks for a 29" set to increase the height of the front end and make it have a little longer reach.

Am i overlooking some stupidly obvious problems as to why this is infact a bad idea rather than a great one?

Also the obvious benefits of 29" wheels comes out here...

Anyone think this is a go or a no go?

I need advice as i cant really afford a bigger bike, and i am scared of a ful 29" bike.
The Frog: Lapierre Zesty 214 2010 - Upgraded - W.I.P

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Most 69er conversions go from a circa 100mm travel 26 fork to a rigid 29er to maintain geometry, keep 100mm of travel and its the same effect on geometry as increasing travel by 40mm which will probably make most handle like a dog or snap the frame!
    With a full sus bike, going 69 makes little sense as you'll end up with travel mismatched front are rear the 'wrong way round' most people 69 hardtails.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cheers, appreciate the insight!

i know it's certainly lift the front end and require some tinkering to match everything up but to be honest i completely overlooked the 3" total rise gain :oops:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    1.5" rise, half of 29 diameter less 26 diameter, 38mm or 40mm for rounding, although most 69ers tend to run a fatter tyre to help compensate for the lack of give at the rigid front so gain a wee bit more, that's on the dropout to ground, you may get a longer dropout to crownrace length on 29er forks versus 26ers as well of course!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    What i am tempted to do though is try switching the standard front wheel and forks for a 29" set to increase the height of the front end and make it have a little longer reach.
    dont you mean less reach. it will also move your weight back making climbing more entertaining. you may also have issues with the wheel coming into contact with the frame. also consider the brake hose may be too short.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • the reach i mention would be axle-axle length. and yeah i hadnt thought of the weight further back thing! i often have issues with the wheel hopping up steep ground anyway!