Neck Ache

skelkelly
skelkelly Posts: 80
edited November 2011 in Road beginners
Hi All

I've only been riding my road bike for the past couple of weeks (MTB previous to this) and did a 40 miler over the weekend.

I was fine apart from my neck and the top of my back aching after about 30 miles, it seems to be from having my head held upright to see where I am going!

Anybody had a similar problem?

Comments

• ads2k
    ads2k Posts: 135
    Yep....

I found a bike fit helped considerably, but I do still get it after 50-60miles but mainly because wearing glasses you have a different riding position.

If you've not been riding for long it could/will also be your body getting used to the new position and hopefully it may pass if a bike fit doesn't reveal any fitting issues.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Try getting some advise regarding your position i.e. over-reaching or gripping your bars too hard. An indicator is whether your elbows are locked when riding? Ideally you need a slight bend in the elbow and shoulders need to be relaxed. Otherwise, it may just need a period of adaptation for our body / muscles to get used to the position, particularly if more used to a more upright riding position.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Good advice about if your arms are locked. I bought 2nd hand bike when I first started and have shortened the stem twice, 10mm each time to get a comfortable position with arms bent at the elbows when on the hoods.
  • I also used to get that after around 30 miles. It stopped after I fitted a 10mm shorter stem. Before, I was leaning too far forwards so that my arms and shoulders were carrying the weight of my torso.
  • mrwibble
    mrwibble Posts: 980
    neck ache usually means you are too stretched out on your bike
  • Same thing happened to me a few months back after raising my saddle a little to get more "aero". Next day got spasms and pain down my arm from a prolapsed cervical disc in my neck - fortunately now resolved but don't recommend it to anyone!! Three weeks off work and not a lot of sympathy from my colleagues when they heard how it happened!!
    +1 to the shorter stem and also consider flipping the stem

Worked for me and now much more comfortable with less strain on the neck - I hate getting old!!