Which BIKE ?

cashy16
cashy16 Posts: 83
edited November 2011 in Road beginners
Hi all

You have probably had loads of these topics in the past which I have searched on and read a few posts. I am into mountain biking but am looking to start road biking, I want a carbon framed bike as want it as light as possible. Original plan was to buy a good ally framed bike and see how i got on but as the prices arent that to far apart I though why not go carbon from the start.

I have been looking at, in no particular order,

PLANET X PRO CARBON

PINARELLO FP2

FOCUS CAYO 2011 105 (just missed there x demo at a steal of a price....)

RIPLEY SPECIAL EDITION BIKE BUILDS WITH SHIMANO 105 GROUPSET UPGRADE

And various CUBE, Specialized bikes but cant recall the eact models.

Can anyone offer some advice on the above bikes and regarding groupsets, is it wise to upgrade to the shimano 105 from the lower specs?

Any advice welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks

ade

Comments

• DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    +1 for a cube. I ride a Cube Agree GTC Race 2011 and it's been a fantastic bike. You'll also get a better component set at your price point than many other brands.
  • tompo
    tompo Posts: 30
    DavidJB wrote:
    +1 for a cube. I ride a Cube Agree GTC Race 2011 and it's been a fantastic bike. You'll also get a better component set at your price point than many other brands.

Some bargain 2011 Cubes about.

Its worth checking out Bikester. A German company who ship to UK free of charge.

I just bought a 2011 Agree GTC Pro for £1250 from them. Ordered and delivered within 4 days.

http://www.bikester.co.uk/233951.html?_ ... gtc-pro-ul

They also have 2011 Agree GTC Races for £1550.

http://www.bikester.co.uk/bicycles/bicy ... 33942.html
  • +1 for the Cube GTC Agree Race 2011. Excellent spec for the money and a very comfy and quick ride. Got mine last month, done 500 miles and I still marvel at the comfort level over my old Allez Elite every time I go out.

(Having said that, the Cube has gone into hibernation until Spring now as need to justifty the reason for buying a decent bike and having a winter hack! :wink: )
  • i would have a look at the Canyon website for bike build value and low weight
  • zippy483
    zippy483 Posts: 104
    Reading all these posts certainly isn't helping me :P

I'm torn now between a cube agree pro triple with Ultegra and the Cannondale CAAD 10 with 105 the latter I have to admit to some degree because of the name lol
  • siamon
    siamon Posts: 274
    Whichever one fits you best. That's the main thing, then make sure you buy it from a shop who can actually put a bike together properly. Then it's happy days!
  • Good point!!