No-Handed Yips

Greg T
Greg T Posts: 3,266
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
It occured to me for no particular reason that I hadn't ridden no-handed for ages . .

So on Monday I decided to sit and stretch my back on the stretch of CS3 after the Crown and Dolphin but before Shadwell tube - my favourite "sit up and stretch" section . . Don't know why - maybe it's the lack of cars . . . anyway . . .

I half get up, then stall with my right hand still on the bars . . .

I dither, my confidence evaporates like cheap perfume on other Greg's hot thighs when he's wearing disco pants.

I dab my hand off, have a wobble and the hand goes back on.

I've got the no-handed yips . . . . .

I give up and ride to work, worrying about what the man in the mirror would say to me...

He said that I should man the feck up.

So - yesterday, close to home inbound - up I go - dither dither wobble feck. Later - force myself to get hold of them, sit right back and trust to the mojo . . . Way home I'm moving better, transitions smoother

This morning back to my old self . . .

So there we go young ones a salient lesson - keep your skills current or risk the danger of yipping out.
Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Try it on a Dutch bike - I did about 2 miles no handed on one a few weeks ago!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    edited November 2011
    Greg T wrote:
    So there we go young ones a salient lesson - keep your skills current or risk the danger of yiffing out.
    :shock:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    notsoblue wrote:
    Greg T wrote:
    So there we go young ones a salient lesson - keep your skills current or risk the danger of yiffingout.
    :shock:
    So which definition best describes Greg T?

I have my suspicions.
  • I forced myself to do a standing no-hander down a gentle sloping firetrack while mountain biking the other day, just to see if I still could. I could, but I didn't like it. The consequences of falling off just seem too dire when you're a (very) fully grown adult.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Now . . . .

I would describe myself as pretty broadminded and when it comes to filth, well I am no stranger to the inside of a dungeon . . .

however . .

Yiffing has completely passed me by . . .

I must say it would be stretch, even for me, to get my freak on for this....

medscaleMA-8522_800.jpg

It is strange how these seemingly boring threads take a turn for the better...
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    as Fat Joe once sung about "lean back.......just lean back!"

its funny coming from mountain bike wide bars to silly skinny road bars, plus bigger wheels an skinnier tyres makes it harder

you know you have hit your uber peak when you can ride no hands an no feet.....supposedly you get a telegram from then Queen for being that cool
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    I forced myself to do a standing no-hander down a gentle sloping firetrack while mountain biking the other day, just to see if I still could. I could, but I didn't like it. The consequences of falling off just seem too dire when you're a (very) fully grown adult.

what ever, i know you have secret desires for caramel.jpg
    Keeping it classy since '83