wobbley cassette help ??

orienteerstu55
orienteerstu55 Posts: 102
edited November 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys

i was fiddling with my perfectly good (until i played with it) cassette, its 9 speed sram. i took it off the rear wheel cleaned it and placed it back on, when tightening it up the lock ring kind of slipped and it became looser. this is only the 3rd time its been removed. this dosnt seem to tighten it enough and it subsequently wobbles and the two smallest rings seem to not place correctly.

is this a common occurrence, any1 any ideas on what to do or is it a new cassette.

thanks for reading

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Sorry you were tightening the lockring at it then slipped and no you can't get it to tighten the cassette?

You have stripped the threads in the freebody or the threads off the lockring.

New parts needed.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • lockring, and yeh i thought as much. fail to see how this happened tho as its relatively new and only been removed 3 times.

im racking up these mtb bills atm :(

thanks
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Sounds to me like you might have just lost a spacer. I imagine the lockring was tightening on the cassette, and the small rings were not sitting straight, so offering resistance. They straighten and so the lockring suddenly 'loosens' (no thread damage though). Then, you can tighten the lockring all the way on but still not bind on the cassette (is that the case)

Depends on the cassette or wheel, but you might have misplaced a spacer. Mavics for example have a small spacer that fits behind the cassette. Check what the spacing of the small rings is like. Each ring should be the same distance apart from the one above and below it. If some look closer together, then you've lost something in the strip down.

Also, try winding the lockring all the way on without the cassette - check the threads on both the freehub and the lockring to see if they are still good.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • this sounds about right, il have a look around but doubt il find it, probably have to a get a new one, or can you buy spacers ?

thanks for your wise words :D
  • benpinnick
    What wheels do you have?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    (and cassette)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • the wheels that came with my carrera fury 2010. magic xm 317 rims shimano hub and sram cassette no idea on what models tho, their all just the bog standard.

currently in the process on making a new rear wheel, dt swiss super comp spokes, mavin xm 719 rim, and hope pro 2 hub :D can't wait.
  • sorry mavic haha what a typo :)
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Probably a heavier wheel than what you have ;-)

But why are you continually removing the cassette?
  • nicklouse
    And a freebody that is not as strong.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • benpinnick
    edited November 2011
    supersonic wrote:
    Probably a heavier wheel than what you have ;-)

But why are you continually removing the cassette?

Heavier? Nah, at least 100g lighter I reckon. Maybe more.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • benpinnick
    nicklouse wrote:
    And a freebody that is not as strong.

This is true. Consider changing cassettes if yours doesn't have a one piece alloy carrier.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • The advice on changing cassette for the Hope is good, otherwise the freehub will get trashed.

XT/XTR or SRAMS 990, IIRC, have the carriers? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    benpinnick wrote:
    Heavier? Nah, at least 100g lighter I reckon. Maybe more.
    I doubt it, the stock Carrera wheels are pretty light!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Just cos they are Hope and DT doesn't make them light.... Makes it very noisey though.
  • benpinnick
    Just cos they are Hope and DT doesn't make them light.... Makes it very noisey though.

Hmm, you say that but:

I am guessing that Formula Hubs are steel free-hub type, and probably pretty low spec ones at that (also remember Formula Hubs is not the same as Formula Brakes - different company so its not even exotic Italian stuff) and are probably 100 - 120G heavier than a Pro 2. Add to that the Super-comp spokes, which I reckon is another 50g+ off for 32, add in the 20g for a heavier rim, and you're at 130 - 150g weight saving with a stronger wheel, and better hub. Even if Carrerra were stupid enough to spec alloy nipples youd be at 100g saving on the wheel. Admittedly not a huge amount, but still lighter.

Formula do make some pretty light hubs, but I think only one model is lighter than the hopes, and tbh I wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • nicklouse
    benpinnick wrote:
    Just cos they are Hope and DT doesn't make them light.... Makes it very noisey though.

Hmm, you say that but:

I am guessing that Formula Hubs are steel free-hub type, and probably pretty low spec ones at that (also remember Formula Hubs is not the same as Formula Brakes - different company so its not even exotic Italian stuff) and are probably 100 - 120G heavier than a Pro 2. Add to that the Super-comp spokes, which I reckon is another 50g+ off for 32, add in the 20g for a heavier rim, and you're at 130 - 150g weight saving with a stronger wheel, and better hub. Even if Carrerra were stupid enough to spec alloy nipples youd be at 100g saving on the wheel. Admittedly not a huge amount, but still lighter.

Formula do make some pretty light hubs, but I think only one model is lighter than the hopes, and tbh I wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it.

lots of guess work there. I would trust the formula hubs more than the Hopes.

see more Hope fail than formulas.
  • benpinnick
    Yep, educated guesses. I expect the extra 150g of metal in a run of the mill, Carrerra type Formula hub probably does help keep the failure rate lower ;)
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.