Waterproof socks - The alternatives

prossboy
prossboy Posts: 13
edited November 2011 in Road beginners
I intend t o continue to cycle through the winter (previously a March to October cyclists). What are my options regarding waterproof socks. I'm trying to keep my costs down. Regards.

Comments

• By waterproof socks, do you mean overshoes? :?

If you have no shame then wha about a tesco's bag and an elastic band?
  • I've been looking at sealskinz, but at around £20 a pair, I was looking for something a tad cheaper.
  • prossboy wrote:
    I've been looking at sealskinz, but at around £20 a pair, I was looking for something a tad cheaper.

Hmm, why do you fancy waterproof socks over overshoes? any particular reason? im just curious...

Anyway, can't really help you on the sock front, but if you want to give overshoes a go, i have a pair of BBB heavy duty overshoes bought from wiggle for £16 odd, and that £16 could well be some of the best money ive ever spent.
  • Just been chatting to a few guys and they recommended I get some for the winter. Obviously I have options, cheers.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Before I got sealskins I used to put a breadbag between my 2 socks. It only works in really cold rain.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    By waterproof socks, do you mean overshoes? :?

By waterproof socks, I think the OP means waterproof socks - get with the technology man! :lol:

As it happens, I use waterproof socks and overshoes - but overshoes on their own won't keep your feet as dry as waterproof socks (in winter, put your bibtights or leg warmers over the cuff of the waterproof sock and even if water does get into your shoe, you don't get wet feet.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    By waterproof socks, do you mean overshoes? :?

By waterproof socks, I think the OP means waterproof socks - get with the technology man! :lol:

As it happens, I use waterproof socks and overshoes - but overshoes on their own won't keep your feet as dry as waterproof socks (in winter, put your bibtights or leg warmers over the cuff of the waterproof sock and even if water does get into your shoe, you don't get wet feet.

:lol: I'm clearly of the old school! Waterproof socks? MTFU, i ride bare feet throughout winter :wink:
  • gmacz
    gmacz Posts: 343
    I have used the mentioned socks for a few years and they work well.
    Purchased some overshoes after reading some posts on here and last night my shoes and feet were soaking.
    They were cheap overshoes and more expensive ones might work better.
    Will stick to the socks.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I bought some Sealskins last year. Yes they are waterproof but this means that the water that runs down your legs gets into the sock and then can't get out. You're going to struggle to find anything that will stop the water running down your legs and into your shoes. Plus the 'Skins not very comfortable to wear. IMO you're better of with some nice merino socks (De Feet Woolie Boolies are a recent discovery) and then some waterproof overshoes. The merino will keep your toes warm even if/when they get wet, and the overshoes will stop the rain soaking into your shoes (and getting them all dirty). Plus it keeps the wind off so helps keep you warm too.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • rolf_f
    Wrath Rob wrote:
    I bought some Sealskins last year. Yes they are waterproof but this means that the water that runs down your legs gets into the sock and then can't get out. You're going to struggle to find anything that will stop the water running down your legs and into your shoes. Plus the 'Skins not very comfortable to wear. IMO you're better of with some nice merino socks (De Feet Woolie Boolies are a recent discovery) and then some waterproof overshoes. The merino will keep your toes warm even if/when they get wet, and the overshoes will stop the rain soaking into your shoes (and getting them all dirty). Plus it keeps the wind off so helps keep you warm too.

Woolie Boolies are over-rated IMO. I do have some (wore them today, with Planet X overshoes, and my feet were tingly cold after 18 miles even though it is 10 degrees) but the Sealskins are warmer even in the dry. I'll agree they are a bit odd when you first put them on but I never notice them after a minute or two. As for water running down your legs, that's only a problem if you are bare legged. Leg warmers or tights over the sock cuffs keeps the water out in all but the worst deluges. I don't mind the Woolie Boolies but they are more an Autumn sock for me than winter.

@ Leicesterlad - clearly you are fibbing - how can you clip in in bare feet? :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have the woolies mk2 (the dark grey ones) and they are a lovely, toasty piece of kit - only felt the cold once with them, last weekend in RP. So long as you keep the tips of your fingers uncovered you have something else to keep your mind occupied when its sub 10 degrees.

Am off on holiday on sat for 3 weeks....not sure how I will cope when I get back!
  • Merino winter socks and Prendas Windtex Overshoes - toasy warm and dry.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:

Woolie Boolies are over-rated IMO. I do have some (wore them today, with Planet X overshoes, and my feet were tingly cold after 18 miles even though it is 10 degrees) but the Sealskins are warmer even in the dry. I'll agree they are a bit odd when you first put them on but I never notice them after a minute or two. As for water running down your legs, that's only a problem if you are bare legged. Leg warmers or tights over the sock cuffs keeps the water out in all but the worst deluges. I don't mind the Woolie Boolies but they are more an Autumn sock for me than winter.

@ Leicesterlad - clearly you are fibbing - how can you clip in in bare feet? :lol:

I'm so hard i screw the cleats into my feet. :twisted:
  • Thanks guys for the replies, taking it all on board, well except for screwing my cleats to my feet!!!
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    I love Sealskinz, but more so for mountain biking. I use overshoes for the road. I've seen Sealskinz down to £10 in some of the sales. Last for ever.

http://www.walkerscyclingshop.co.uk/Pro ... ductID=833
  • rolf_f

Rubbish - the blood would conjeal in the clip mechanism and cause it to sieze up!
  • I have frequently used freezer bags over a normal sock, particularly when touring. The great thing with them is that they also provide 100% windproofing and I've found them surprisingly comfortable and very easy to stow away when you no longer need the waterproofing.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Rolf F wrote:
    Wrath Rob wrote:

My advice, go and try a pair of Sealskins before you buy. £20 for something you wear a few times and then think "not for me" is not £20 well spent.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 264
    sealskin socks are great. i use them all the time in winter for cycling and sailing.
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Ive had the neoprene socks before but then your feet are soaked in sweat anyway.
    Mudguards with long flaps and Planet X overshoes are good for me. They have a winter bundle out. Gloves shoes and lights for £20. Bargain.
  • Rolf F wrote:

Rubbish - the blood would conjeal in the clip mechanism and cause it to sieze up!

You would save 215.5612643 grams though :D