Fitting a new stem and new bars

jeannot18
jeannot18 Posts: 720
edited November 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Still debating if I should change my stock stem and bars. Before I take the plunge has anyone a link for a video or guide on how to replace a stem/bars.
A stupid question maybe, but would I need to change all the cables and housing if I change the bars, or should they be long enough to just swap them across?
JC
Pédale ou crève
Specialized Elite Allez with 105
Rockrider 8.1 : )

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Whether the cables etc will be long enough depends on whether the stem/bars are significantly longer (or shorter)
    Just undo the bolts, remove fit new, tighten. Only slightly technical bit is to preload the headset bearings before tightening the stem.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Whether the cables etc will be long enough depends on whether the stem/bars are significantly longer (or shorter)
    Just undo the bolts, remove fit new, tighten. Only slightly technical bit is to preload the headset bearings before tightening the stem.

Thanks cooldad for the reply. How do you do that bit? ( Only slightly technical bit is to preload the headset bearings before tightening the stem)?
    JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    See Parktools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks nicklouse,

Cooldad, do you refer to "Headset Bearing Adjustment"?

JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yup
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks, now let's read that a dozen times and see if I feel able to do it. Thanks again

JC
    Pédale ou crève
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    hit youtube there are loads of how to tutorials on everything on there....

it really is easy to do you should only need an allen key,
  • Thanks Delcol, I just want to be sure that I know how to do it. Last thing i want to do is taking it apart and realising that I can't fix and not be able to use my bike.
    JC
    Pédale ou crève