Help for Heroes rides 2012

essjaydee
essjaydee Posts: 917
List of charity rides for this excellent cause here :wink:

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/challenges-bike-rides.html

Comments

• I agree :|

I really fancy doing the battlefied tour with them, but min sponsorship is £2300 :shock: and I'm not confident I could raise that amount :|
  • what i find more off putting is that at least 30% of the money you raise is to cover *your* costs (e.g. the support van, hotel, etc). so those donating for the cause are actually underwriting your cycling holiday. i think it would make more sense to say, hey, raise GBP1,000, all of which goes to the charity, and pay GBP500 for a great week long trip.
  • what i find more off putting is that at least 30% of the money you raise is to cover *your* costs (e.g. the support van, hotel, etc). so those donating for the cause are actually underwriting your cycling holiday. i think it would make more sense to say, hey, raise GBP1,000, all of which goes to the charity, and pay GBP500 for a great week long trip.
    Yes definitely. Or raise £100 per person for a local day ride that a few thousand people might take part in...
  • they are offering day rides, but at £40 to enter for 'administrative fees' (perhaps alain ducasse is catering?). if interesting in charity rides, action medical research hosts some great ones for a reasonable entry fee of £25 and a suggested donation of £25 on top. and you clearly get £25+ in support and food.
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    As a previous participant of several H4H multi-day rides I can honestly say that they are great fun, humbling (chatting to some of the guys with missing limbs/on hand cycles etc.) and well worth the effort.

The minimum sponsorship does sound daunting - however most people don't do it via "sponsorship" but through donations etc. E.G. I did a H4H day at a local pub, loads of bands, raffle, H4H stall etc. and raised £2,500 in one day. I have also done collections at mainline London stations and raised over £1,000 in one day!

The H4H battlefield rides are muchmore than just a cycling holiday!! The one day rides require no minimum sponsorship/fundraising and are also great fun - often used as "reunions" for those who met on the bigger rides. The camaraderie is great and some people raise loads more than the minimum. Quite often people will also help others to reach their required target so it becomes a bit of a team effort!
  • Chrissz
    Stanley222 wrote:

Where is the details on the day rides? I can't seem to spot it! I realise that there are other worthy causes out there but I am particularly interested in H4H.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/challen ... rides.html

Click on the Ride To Recovery menue for a list of 2012's one-day rides :)

Unfortunately they are not running th New Forest rides t next year - they were cracking fun!!

(You might also be interested in the ride on my signature link :))
  • wanted to add that not trying to be negative here ... just pointing out if someone wanted to ride the ride as a nice route. totally different situation if this is a charity in which one feels very strongly, as the last two posters clearly (and very impressively) do.
  • Nothing local to me unfortunately (Manchester ). I'd love to take part but would need it to be within an hour or 2 travel. Hope they extend this further it's something that a lot of people would support in this neck of the woods if they could to it without turning it into a trip to the far side of the country.
  • Stanley222 wrote:
    what i find more off putting is that at least 30% of the money you raise is to cover *your* costs (e.g. the support van, hotel, etc). so those donating for the cause are actually underwriting your cycling holiday. i think it would make more sense to say, hey, raise GBP1,000, all of which goes to the charity, and pay GBP500 for a great week long trip.
    Yes definitely. Or raise £100 per person for a local day ride that a few thousand people might take part in...

I would definitely do that and be happy to pay for my own ferry crossing and accommodation, I could raise a decent amount of sponsorship but just think £2300 is ridiculous

Yeah, i saw that too bikergirl :| , and agree with your idea 8)
  • Chrissz wrote:
    As a previous participant of several H4H multi-day rides I can honestly say that they are great fun, humbling (chatting to some of the guys with missing limbs/on hand cycles etc.) and well worth the effort.

The minimum sponsorship does sound daunting - however most people don't do it via "sponsorship" but through donations etc. E.G. I did a H4H day at a local pub, loads of bands, raffle, H4H stall etc. and raised £2,500 in one day. I have also done collections at mainline London stations and raised over £1,000 in one day!

The H4H battlefield rides are muchmore than just a cycling holiday!! The one day rides require no minimum sponsorship/fundraising and are also great fun - often used as "reunions" for those who met on the bigger rides. The camaraderie is great and some people raise loads more than the minimum. Quite often people will also help others to reach their required target so it becomes a bit of a team effort!

Great fund raising and fair play to you :)
    I'm ex forces, hence why I posted this thread, and would really like to help raise some money for them next year :wink:
    Still considering the battlefield tour, and may register and attempt to raise the necessary funding, but think I will struggle to get the amount required in the time given :!:
  • Stanley222 wrote:
    I'm ex forces too so am equally keen to help the H4H campaign - just couldn't do £2300!

Maybe we need to arrange our own 'challenge' :wink:
  • Chrissz
    essjaydee wrote:

Maybe we need to arrange our own 'challenge' :wink:

That's what I've done for 2012 :!: 5 days along the south coast of England - Chatham to Plymouth - 450/500miles - ALL donations/sponsorship going directly to the chosen charity (Royal Marines Charitable Trust Fund - Help Our Wounded) - no minimum sponsorship - riders to pay approx. £200 to cover accomodation (shared) and food, broom wagon etc. More details = http://www.justgiving.com/coastalcommando PM me if interested :D