Reign X bottom link

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited November 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I have been having loads of problems with my 2011 Reign X & getting nowhere with getting it fixed under warranty.
After searching the web I found that 2010 Reign X had major problems with lower links breaking, some riders getting through a few of them & strangely they tend to break when climbing!
With Giant's crap warranty if this is still a problem on the 2011 bikes I want to get rid of it before mine fails & I get left with a big repair bill.
Does anyone know if 2011 bikes suffer with this linkage failure?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    So what is the problem with your link?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Nothing at the moment, still trying to decide if I want to keep the bike after Giant refuse to repair another fault under warranty which was caused by bad set up from new. After a bit of searching on the web I found out about the link problem. I don't want to keep the bike if it's likely to suffer a linkage failure which in some cases also damages the frame. I don't want to be trying to sort things out with Giants warranty dept again.
    If it's a problem the bike will have to go.
  • supersonic
    Well there is no recall - I think you are jumping the gun! Like saying a bearing will wear, but when? If ever!

How did you invalidate the warranty?
  • rockmonkeysc
    I didn't. The bike was badly set up which caused a rear mech to break and damage a few other bit. According to two local mechanics the bike was set up wrong from new causeing the mech to pull in to the wheel but the shop I bought it from claim I must have fallen off & broke it so refuse to repair it. I get the feeeling that if I ever broke I link they would claim it was my fault as well & leave me to pay the bill.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You argument is with the shop you bought it off, not Giant.
    But that's only one problem, not 'loads'.

And it's very difficult to tell if a mech was set up wrong after it's been trashed. How long did you ride the bike before you had the singular problem?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    I have had mechanicals on every ride. I have had to replace transmission components (cranks, BB, chain, rear mech) & the wheels seem to be made from cheese & need truing every ride. A couple of the suspension linkage bolts were loose from new.
    This particular problem happened after about 20 miles riding from new.
    I'm not posting because of these problems, I just want to know if the suspension linkages still have problems with snapping as I know it was a major problem on 2010 bikes & I wouldn't want to rely on the shop fixing it under warranty so if it is a problem I will get rid of the bike & buy something better & more German.
  • cooldad
    German bikes break as well - suppose that's why he's carrying it.
    3725938.f0821524.560.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    But a lot of those things seem to relate to maintenance or adjustment. How do you break cranks?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    A bike shouldn't need maintenance or adjustment before it's first ride! I have still only had four short rides.
    To be fair the cranks only went because the Truvativ BB (which lasted two rides) was nearly as expensive as a SLX crankset including BB!
  • If it needed maintence before the first ride how did you know anything was wrong?

All bikes need adjustment before their first ride, done by where you bought it from?
  • rockmonkeysc
    It was on the first ride that the linkages came loose & the chain snapped twice.
    The bike was supposed to have had a PDI check before I collected it, you would have thought that would include checking bolts were tight
  • supersonic
    Do you have the PDI checklist sheet? It does sound the majority of this is maintenence issues. If after riding for 20 miles the mech dies, it does suggest it was knocked. Why not just tighten the linkage bolts back up?

If the link goes, then that should be judged on its own merit. You have consumer rights with the RETAILER, you have no reason to contact Giant. Have you spoke to Giant?
  • rockmonkeysc
    I did tighten the bolts as soon as I got home. I only contacted Giant because I found the dealer was not at all helpful.
    I don't have the PDI checklist
  • If I was a good dealer/shop I'd have copies of the PDIAT check from jobs.
  • supersonic
    I did tighten the bolts as soon as I got home. I only contacted Giant because I found the dealer was not at all helpful.
    I don't have the PDI checklist

Giant do not have to help you - you bought the bike from the retailer, not Giant. Your warranty is in addition to your statutory rights. If a fault develops in the first 6 months, it is up to the retailer to prove it was not inherant at manufacture, if you do not accept their reason. After 6 months, you must prove this.

However you have a duty of care of maintenance, and should never ride the bike with what you suspect is a fault.

If you think you the bike is genuninely faulty then tell the retailer that they have to prove otherwise given you have (I assume) not had it six months. Download a copy of the Sale of Goods Act.

However there is nothing to suggest the linkage is faulty, or will develop a fault. You cannot pre empt this.
  • rockmonkeysc
    There was a common fault on 2010 bikes. If the 2011 bikes have the same fault then I will sell this bike & get something better. I just wanted to know if the 2011 bikes have the weak lower linkage?
  • Do you actually have a clue?