200 mile 1 day charity ride

y33stu
y33stu Posts: 376
edited November 2011 in Tour & expedition
Hi All,

I'm helping to organise a chairty bike ride for a 7 year old boy in the North East, who has Cerebral Palsy.

We're organising a 200 mile ride from Edinburgh to Newcaslte upon Tyne. We will be following the road version of the coast and castles route, which takes in the stunning castles and coastline of Scotland and Northumberland. We expect to complete the ride in around 15 hours (hopefully). We'll be doing the ride mostly on road bikes, and will be hoping to average 15mph along the route. We plan to have up to 20 riders, the ride will be supported by 2 support vans, and a finish party will be organised, with massages and all the food you can eat.

I'm organising this with a GB triathlete who's based in the North East and has just completed her first Ironman. So the level of support we will have will be first class.

Is anyone interested in riding with us?
Cycling prints
Band of Climbers

Comments

• Depending on when it is, I could be tempted in a trip back home. It all depends on the fine details and the dates, but if you can give any more details then I'll certainly look into it.
    Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic
  • y33stu
    The ride is planned for Sunday 8th July 2012. Although nothing is set in stone just yet. That will come in the next few weeks. It will mean an overnight stop in a hotel in Edinburgh on 7th July, as its likely we'll head off about 5am on the 8th, arriving into Newcaslte around 9pm on the sunday night. I'll be taking the monday off as its unlikely i'll be able to walk!!

The route will be mostly flat, with one 400 meter climb early on. You cans ee the route profile here : http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/55961940

If it suits you, let me know and i'll send you my email address.

You're a bit far away to join in the training rides, but we're planning a load of group rides for all that are keen.
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • Sorry, but that's not going to work out for me. I've got my own charity ride planned from 23rd - 30th June next year which is going to see me covering 700 miles in 7 days, including riding from Exeter to Newcastle. I think looking to do a sub 24hr 200 miler the week after is going to be a bit of a big ask
    Twitter: @FunkyMrMagic
  • y33stu
    Yeah You wouldnt want to be doing that so soon after your own.

Good luck with your own challenge, sounds like a good one.
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers