Tyre Advice

plodski
plodski Posts: 14
edited January 2012 in Track
Can anyone recommend a suitable budget clincher tyre for Newport Velodrome. Also what size and tyre pressure would you go for?

Comments

• When I first rode at Newport, the track manager was particularly concerned I was not riding on Michelins.

The recommendation I was given was Continentals. Though my clinchers are Kenda Kaliente, which I took sandpaper and vinegar to before riding the boards.

As was relayed to me, if you ride tubs on the track and puncture, you have a 50:50 chance of staying upright, on clinchers you're coming off. With that in mind do you want to be riding the track on budget clinchers?

If you trawl through this forum you'll find more posts about tyres, pressures as per manufacturer's recommendations and size, 20-23C.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Vittoria corsa evo pista but they are not cheap :-) I put between 120 and 140 psi in mine.
    I have ridden conti's also but did not find them as good and they were a bit slippy at slower speed but I tried zonerklasse and they were good but not cheap.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    I use Vittoria Diamante Pro Light clinchers - again I think they take up to around 140psi. They've proven perfectly fine at DISC, but always give me a little slip on the lines (I expect this happens with most tyres though)

Not the cheapest of tyres (in fact, probably some of the most expensive clinchers you can buy) but they are low rolling resistant and grippy. You get what you pay for, and you will find tyres that just will not stick well to the boards.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Diamante Pro Light but if you can afford it Continental Supersonic is a clincher I think (it's on my partners track bike) or the Veloflex Record which is prob. as near to tubular as you can get if you run Conti lightweight tubes as well. Planet X currently have the V-flex on offer I think. V.fast, sublime tyre that works fine on the boards.
    M.Rushton
  • AlanW
    AlanW Posts: 291
    I was using the Conti Supersonics, but I have recently switched over to the Vittoria Diamante Pro Pista clinchers fitted with the Conti Supersonic tubes.

I have to say that I am very impressed with them and would argue that they are better than the Contis. They certainy seem to give you more grip.

Ribble are currently selling them cheaper than anyone else I think - HERE
    "You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I would not risk clinchers on the velodrome, you may regret using them if you puncture :D
  • Kenda Kaliente's are no good for the track. Thought somethings was wrong yesterday as back wheel seemed to be squirrelling. A bit like when you slip on one of the lines. Checked tyre and the tread is coming away from the beading.

Vittoria Diamante's to be ordered.
    ?
    Next question, what tubular track wheels? Sensible suggestions that I can persuade the All Seeing Eye on.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live