Had me a crash this morning!

rubertoe
rubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
as the title says,

was about 5 minutes into my commute this morning, when a driver pulls out from the left (turning right) and crunch, into the side of her i go.

she was looking to the left as she assumed there was a gap in the traffic and was pulling out of a side road i could see her looking left and she doesn't look right again and just pulls out, i try and swerve to the right to miss her but Bam, i cant and the next thing i know i am in the middle of the road detached from the bike!

she stops, plenty of witnesses and one calls for an ambulance and the police. we exchange details so i have all of these and handed them over to the police (i stupidly didn't get her to wait :oops: ).

I dont have any major injuries, a bruised hand and a few cuts and bruises - i think the bike came of worse.

what do i do now though - i am probably in a bit of shock - and wasnt thinking straight when it happened.

any suggestions?
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Comments

• Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    youve got her details so all is goodish.
    You should get yourself checked over to be on the safe side also get a LBS to assess the damage to the bike and costs of repair. Get hold of her and find out how she wants to sort it out she may want to pay to avoid insurance claims if not you need to put an insurance claim to her insuruers - hence the need for a quote
    Hope you feel better soon - oh get back on the bike soon putting it off is not good

Good luck
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Given my experience, I'd say go through her insurance. Document everything, get pics pof any cuts/bruises/bike damage.

I had a similar incident, no witnesses but a driver who admitted fault (in a text message, which I saved just in case!) and no major injuries. I didn't involve any solicitors and the driver's insurance co were actually pretty cooperative and helpful. They offered me FoC physiotherapy, arranged the medical examination to value my injuries, paid my material (bike/helmet) costs straight away when they were valued by the LBS and then paid the injury money after it had all settled down.

And once you've sorted it, join British Cycling or CTC to get access to their solicitors (and third party insurance) just in case.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    Also, have a read of the 'what to do if you have an accident' thread over in Commuting General.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition