how do you carry your iPhone?

mooseface2r
mooseface2r Posts: 88
edited December 2011 in Road beginners
Out on a ride I like to listen to my iPhone currently I wear baggies and just have it in my pocket...but if I was to wear bibs this wouldnt be possibly. how do different people carry there iPhone being able to listen to it? The only option I've layed eyes on is an arm strap?

Any ideas?

Comments

• Perhaps it depends on how long your headphone lead is? I carry mine in a jersey pocket, and whilst I haven't listened to it at the same time, I think possibly the best way would be to route the lead under the bottom of the jersey and up through the front?
    Specialized Secteur - FCN 6
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Oh my. This'll be fun. Baggies AND listening to music while riding. Let the war begin!
    (I'm of the don't care brigade.)
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Whats an iPhone?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Whats an iPhone?

Apparently it's something like an Android phone but not as good.
  • I just tuck mine into the leg of my shorts and run the wire up under my shorts and jersey. The tight lycra holds it in place perfectly even when sprinting* hard.

*(trying to)
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    I have a iphone cradle which I use for every ride. Attached to my stem. I use it a GPS etc with Cyclemeter app. Dont personally listen to music while riding - terrified of not hearing a car approaching! But it would do the job.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Perfect-Handleb ... 000&sr=8-7

Only cost me a tenner. Never failed me despite riding a road bike on pot hole filled roads of Northumberland.
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • y33stu wrote:
    I have a iphone cradle which I use for every ride. Attached to my stem. I use it a GPS etc with Cyclemeter app. Dont personally listen to music while riding - terrified of not hearing a car approaching! But it would do the job.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Perfect-Handleb ... 000&sr=8-7

Only cost me a tenner. Never failed me despite riding a road bike on pot hole filled roads of Northumberland.

it may not have failed you but other peoples reviews have been questionable.....

I personally just stick the iphone in a jersey pocket and run the wire around the front and up underneath my jersey or if wearing my jacket, in the breast pocket.
    A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
    Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • Assos jerseys have a small hole in the zipped pocket for your headphone cable to be threaded through.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    Giordana bib shorts have a pocket in the rear, goes in this.

Boom Endomondo pro or garmin fit on, sennheisers plugged in music on.

Grafting starts! happy days!

If i am with the club, on silent in the rear pocket!
  • MUSIC? WHILST CYCLING? :shock:

CRAZY PEOPLE!!!!!!! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH YOU'RE ALL GOING TO DIEEEEEE! :!: :!: :!: :!:

*unless you are listening to The Smith's, in which case this is perfectly acceptable
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    Tape it to the seat post. That way it will double as a rear light.
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    On my road bike it's in jersey rear pocket switched on for gps only, prefer to hear what's going on around if on road. If cycling down old railway lines on mtb either in pocket in camel back that has routing for headphones but also have arm strap for when out on a short ride.
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Mine just goes into the middle rear pocket of my jersey. Cannot think why I would do it any different.

Hearing traffic no problem as I do not have noise cancelling ear pieces, and I always look any way, as I am sure all of you do aswell. (How do deaf people cycle?)
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Jersey pocket here to, although also switched to bluetooth headphones so no cables to worry about
  • My phone goes in a zip lock bag in my jersey pocket (saves it from rain). If you want to listen to music I don't see why you couldn't do this but snip the corner off the bag for the headphone cord.

If you want to get really picky about it then you could sow a button hole into the jersey inside your pocket so that you can feed your headphone cable up the inside of the jersey (out of the wind).

I rode with music once for about 5 minutes. Every car coming past scared the **** out of me. I really don't know how you guys do it.
  • more expenditure but when out on my MTB I pop the iphone in my small saddle bag and invested in a small ipod shuffle, clips anywhere
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    TrickyGB wrote:
    more expenditure but when out on my MTB I pop the iphone in my small saddle bag and invested in a small ipod shuffle, clips anywhere
    Snap! The current gen shuffle works with my Sony buds that have got an inline remote too so adjusting volume, changing tracks etc is a doddle.
  • Wahoo bike case with speed & cadence sensors, running Cyclemeter. Before that I used a Topeak waterproof case but found it difficult to get the phone into. The Wahoo also has a water resistant headphone outlet so I can ride with one ear in for updates on times, speed etc - don't have to look down and can still hear cars.
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    MUSIC? WHILST CYCLING? :shock:

CRAZY PEOPLE!!!!!!! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH YOU'RE ALL GOING TO DIEEEEEE! :!: :!: :!: :!:

*unless you are listening to The Smith's, in which case this is perfectly acceptable

Agree with the 1st bit anyway , if someone wants to dull their senses then good luck to them , as for deaf people they do not have a choice so thats not a witty riposte ...........
    FCN 3/5/9
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    edited December 2011
    Phone in the back pocket, earphone wire running up inside the shirt to stop it flapping around. I only have one earphone in and keep the volume low. I don't really get the argument that it stops you hearing the traffic, as I keep the volume low enough so that most of the time the windnoise is louder than the music noise. And I don't get the argument either that the music might be a distraction - surely there is an equally possible risk that a rider might just become stuck in their own little world without music and become equally oblivious to road hazards. Anybody actually seen any research on this?
  • plowmar wrote:
    (How do deaf people cycle?)

very surprised it took 14 posts for this to come out :wink:

My samsung goes in my jersey breast pocket and headphones routed through the buttons on the collar and to the back of my head. On other jerseys, it goes in my back pocket and routed under and back up....I play it really loud too...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,454
    After wrecking one less expensive phone through condensation in my rear pocket and my work phone when it was in the pocket of my waterproof jacket in heavy rain I now keep my Samsung wrapped in a ziplock bag in my back pocket and put my spare tubes around it to protect it in the event of a fall!
  • I'm thinking of getting this GoPro type case for my iPhone. Plus you can use the headphones volume up as an on/off remote. http://proambike.com/content/iphone-ins ... ro-cycling