Was it me or was it slippery tonight?

Gallywomack
Gallywomack Posts: 823
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
The back end was wondering about a bit at times. Not exactly well disposed towards my bike atm and this wasn't helping :shock:

Comments

• cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Was nasty. Had both twitchy back end AND wheelspin today at different times. Had put it down to stock tyres on the new bike but it shouldn't have been THAT slippery.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Judging by the crud that I got splattered with, it seems like there's essentially a thin layer of slippery mud on the road, must be something to do with the mist sitting on the existing road grime, or something.

Although if your moniker is anything to go by, maybe it's just the heavyweights that were affected :wink:
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    I'm really a TDF climber, its all a cunning ruse (honest).
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Yes, but that was because I was on an umlit track that was muddy. Conti Ultrasports @100psi in mud don't really work.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • All sorts of crap on the road here ATM. Combination of damp but no really heavy rain has left all the muck and Shiite (literally in some cases). My poor road bike looks really grim at the end of the week. Until I get my warranty replacement Gatorskin, I can't use my Boardman CX on anything but Marathon Winters.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    Judging by the crud that I got splattered with, it seems like there's essentially a thin layer of slippery mud on the road, must be something to do with the mist sitting on the existing road grime, or something.

Although if your moniker is anything to go by, maybe it's just the heavyweights that were affected :wink:

Nah, it was affecting us whippets as well. Some tool had parked up in the CS lane on Chelsea Bridge: lights off and parked in a dark spot, so I spotted it a bit late and had a rather scary slide towards its open boot.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    Oh good, it wasn't just me.

I wonder if it's related to this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15762967
  • was/has been slippery. yesturday mourning back wheel stepped out, on one tight bend but there is a lot of leaf litter since it's that sort of area so nothing really new, been avoiding hidden potholes under the leaves for weeks if not months from memory...
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,633
    Slippery and horrible. Flatted a couple of miles from home as well, and I only changed the tube on Sunday! Grrrrrr :x

Changing 23mm durano to 25mm gatorskin tonight, hopefully that will solve it :?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Speaking of potholes, I keep getting caught out by new ones left on stretches where there have been recent roadworks. A bit bloomin shoddy if you ask me, but maybe this should be on the rant thread.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    I didn't notice any slipperiness & I'm on slicks LOL

But I usually ride surface aware to avoid any mishaps anyway
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    Anyone noticed how the 'extra grippy' textured paint of the CS's (where they approach a junction or crossing) grabs leaves much better than ordinary tarmac? A rather pretty orange-brown and blue collage, but not that great for braking.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • but no really heavy rain .

I can't believe I typed this. Was thinking what an idiot I am as I rode in this morning soaked to the skin with water sloshing in my new Sidi Dragons... :roll:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    It was definitely slippy last night.

But that depends on what you mean by "it" :twisted:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Most of the roads on my commute are hidden under thick layers of mud, leaves, and who knows what else. Slippy is a given round here from about September (first ploughing) to April (first dry roads if you're lucky).
  • The back end was wondering about a bit at times. Not exactly well disposed towards my bike atm and this wasn't helping :shock:

So they were thinking about it a lot then?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    This is one point on my ride in that makes me nervous at this time of year. Here: http://g.co/maps/5ezn7
    I turn off the road across the entrance on the left, onto the pavement and up to the park gate. Problem is everything except for the main road is covered in wet leaves. There is invariably a car up my chuff as the road is busy and narrow along there. The more I worry about it the worse it is as I tense up.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    This is one point on my ride in that makes me nervous at this time of year. Here: http://g.co/maps/5ezn7
    I turn off the road across the entrance on the left, onto the pavement and up to the park gate. Problem is everything except for the main road is covered in wet leaves. There is invariably a car up my chuff as the road is busy and narrow along there. The more I worry about it the worse it is as I tense up.

luckily my ways in/out of the park are quieter affairs though the Hampton Hill end I haven't seen the kerb for ages....
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    rjsterry wrote:
    Anyone noticed how the 'extra grippy' textured paint of the CS's (where they approach a junction or crossing) grabs leaves much better than ordinary tarmac? A rather pretty orange-brown and blue collage, but not that great for braking.

Listening to LBC I think it was and apparently every night Boris sends trucks out on major routes to spray them with glue. The idea is that soot pariculates stick to the glue and reduce the pollution levels. Not sure what it does for grip for bike tyres though...