Try Spain's best sportive - Quebrantahuesos

It's that time of year when we're all thinking about the Etape and the Marmotte but don't overlook Spain's biggest event, Quebrantahuesos which is one of the few in the world to be given UCI Golden Bike status.
This is quite simply a fantastically organised event and has been running for 20 years. It's the same 205 km route each year, taking in three major climbs - the Somport, Marie Blanque and Portalet - and it's mostly on closed roads.
From the website, you have to take part in a pre-inscription process followed by a lottery draw. This event is the key date for Spanish sportive riders and 18,000 riders attempted to enter last time for the 8500 places.

If you don't want to risk losing out on the lottery, or simply prefer everything to be organised for you, there is another option for non-Spanish riders. The organisers have allocated guaranteed places to Train in Spain for the 3rd year running (http://www.traininspain.net). They are doing a 4-night package from the Wed-Sun in a 4* hotel in Jaca. The arrival day is based on when Ryan Air fly into the nearest airport which is Zaragoza.
For the record, the event is one of the best days out on a bike you can have. I did it back-to-back with the Marmotte this year and loved it as well - so much so I'm going to do them both again in 2012.

Comments

• I also have guaranteed places and took part in the infamous 2010 event last year injury kept me out but training hard for 2012 I dont do packages but can sort transfers and accomadation at cost ( fully bonded ) the more people who come the cheaper the costs P.M. me Andy P.S.will be going training in May if you fancy a trip
    Training for the Cycle to Spain and the Quebrantahuesos
    www.seeyouinspain.co.uk