Groupset question ??

zippy483
zippy483 Posts: 104
edited November 2011 in Road beginners
Here we go another daft question form a Newbie

Just looking at shimao groupsets and working on the premise buy the best you can afford I've been looking at various bikes

and as such I'm in a bit of a quandry

What do we get for going up the scale of groupset working from Sora through tiagra to 105 then Ultegra

are the mechs lower down the scale so to speak more robust but less smooth than those at the top or is it very much a case of the higher up the scale you go the better alround quality you get

I'm about to take the plunge and buy a road bike and I've seen one I can afford at my price range with Ultegra drive train the caveat being it's in a sale so is correspondingly very cheap compared to similar spec bikes elsewhere

I suppose the question would be for my £1000ish pounds what should I expect to be picking up if I miss this one and would I get the benefit of such a highly specc'd bike as an newb.

Comments

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    You will see improvements in terms of the decreasing weight, increasing number of gears, smoothness of shifting, braking performance and stiffness of chainset.

I've got Ultegra on one bike and a Tiagra/105 mix on another and there is a very noticable difference in terms of the above between the 2.

If you can get the Ultegra, you won't regret it but you may be sacrificing the quality of frame for the groupset. Just watch out if the Ultegra is the older (6600) set which has 1 cable under the bar tape and one outside, this is a bit older and may (though I'm not certain) offer very few benefits over the most recent 105 (5700, both cables under the tape).
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    More important is that the bike fits you. An uncomfortable bike is never a bargain.
    Below Tiagra things are a bit agricultural. From Tiagra up there are improvements in finish, pivot bearings etc which usually give smoother operation and longer life. Nothing wrong with the old 6600 as long as you don't mind the 'washing lines'. They are easier to maintain.
  • zippy483
    been and tried the bike for size etc, and all looks well more a question of if I miss it then I'm looking else where maybel a ribble sportive with 105 just sort of comparing the market
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Ultegra has had concealed cables for a while now.

105 5600 had gear cables exposed, the newer 105 5700 has both cables concealed under the bar tape like Ultegra.

Last year Tiagra was 9 speed, this year it's 'upgraded' to 10 speed, so it's now like 105 was 2 years ago, ie 10sp with the gear cables coming out of the sides of the shifters.

Sora is 9 speed with exposed cables, and downshifting achieved by clicking a little thumb lever you can't easily reach from the drops.

My advice is try as many as you can. They are all functional; more money gets you lighter components, and possibly slicker shifting. I don't think the more expensive groupsets last longer though, in fact alloy chainrings and titanium sprockets wear faster than their steel counterparts, and when they wear out can be eye-wateringly expensive to replace.

FWIW I went for 105, believing it to be the sweet spot in terms of price vs performance ( vs bling), and it's performed faultlessly for 3 1/2 years of year round riding
  • Anything Tiagra and up will work fine for just about any normal use. 105 or Ultegra are the sweet spot once you take price into account -- while Dura-Ace is no doubt lovely, it's absurdly expensive. What you'll get for more money is, as people have said above, smoother shifting, lighter weight, and generally a nicer feel.

At your £1000 price range, you can expect a decent aluminium or entry-level carbon fibre frame with a 105 or Rival groupset. If you can get a higher spec bike for the same price, then why not? You might not notice the difference in the higher spec components on a test ride, but over time it'll be just that little bit nicer to ride.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Go for the best shifters you can afford ideally, as they tend to make the most difference to how your gears feel.

I had Ultegra on my last bike and it was nice and smooth. I now use SRAM Rival which is a bit more clunky, but I like the fact its easier to shift up gears whilst braking and its also lighter than Ultegra and looks a bit stealthier.
  • I'm not sure about this idea about only groupsets from from Tiagra up are any good. In truth I dont think you can buy anything that isn't completely serviceable these days. I ran Shimano 2200 on my old bike for thousands of miles - when set up properly it shifted perfectly and gave me no problems at all. Of course the shifters on the more expensive sets feel a lot better but as far as everything else goes its all down to weight reductions and finish as you go up the sets.

Also I don't think its worth getting a really good group-set if the frame isn't up to the same level. I'd have thought for around £1000 you'd be generally looking at a 105 groupset or equivalent.
  • zippy483
    The bike I'm looking at would usually be about £1500 so I'm sure the frame is up to the mark especially as it's from a reputable manufacturer and German engineering.

I Think if I can get a superior bike so to speak for the £1000 I'd be daft not to
  • Well, if you like the bike I'd say go for it.