A video challenging a friend to cycle for a week

City-Rider
City-Rider Posts: 2
edited November 2011 in Commuting general
A nice video showing an anti-cyclist riding to work for a week.

http://www.confused.com/car-insurance/motorists-v-cyclists/cycling-issues-video

He nearly hit a dog.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Is that you Russ?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • sfichele
    sfichele Posts: 605
    Its a good article!

But annoying that confused.com have a host of pro-cycling media on their site yet have kicked off a 5hit-storm with their "Motorist-vs-Cyslist" road-tax cr4p
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    I think that guy is going to be a better driver after that experience.
    I too used to drive a Mazda RX-8... now I hardly drive anymore, and I don't own a car either. I still love sports cars, but after driving on race tracks for a couple of years, I just don't see the point in driving fast on the road anymore. I still appreciate a good handling car (and the RX-8 was one of the best, and still is, if somewhat down on power for track-day use). But I just don't understand hot hatches...
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Interesting that one of the things he thinks annoys drivers is not wearing helmets. Do they think it's mandatory?
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    IME, I think the issue annoys drivers and most occasional/sports cyclists.
    Drivers feel that as they have to wear seatbelts so should cyclists. (I am not debating whether helmets are as effective as seat belts)
    Most occasional cyclists *probably* fear the road and feel safer wearing one, and can't see how someone could cycle without.
    Some sports cyclists probably don't understand cycling as a method of transport, they view it as a sport which justifies the slight inconvenience and discomfort caused. They usually associate cycling accidents with high speed spills offroad or something...
    None of the above have done any research into the topic to form a valid opinion on the matter anyway.