N+2

t4tomo
t4tomo Posts: 2,643
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
I'm not sure how I maanged it but in the last month I'll managed to add 2 bikes to the stable and not get much grief from the Mrs for doing so.

My Brompton is my regular commuter and I have the Carerra for MBing. I also have an old mountain bike that I use as a "leave locked up at the station / in town bike" as it less likely to get nicked, however my oldest daughter has decided she is now big enough to ride this so thats now on a "borrow back" basis.

The first one was pretty easy - I got my hands on a sorry looking old Gary Fisher hardtail FOC, which had parted company with its back wheel and was looking a bit sorry itself. New skewers, sprocket chain and pedals and a bit of cleaning/ polishing later I have a nice retro MB. As a bonus it has shimano XTR kit on it, which is super slick changing.

The second one: I haven't had a road bike for 20 years so have long been promising myself to buy one. Ebay plus red wine = second hand Bianchi now in the garage. Road bikes have come on a lot in 20 years, boy is it fun.

I've had one or two "so how are you going to ride them all" questions, but surprisingly little hassle.
Bianchi Infinito CV
Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
Brompton S Type
Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
Gary Fisher Aquila '98
Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Henry_Winkler_Fonz_290x400.jpg
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Excellent, well done. I had something similar recently. Bought an old frame off the Bay to build up a new MTB for my son as he keeps growing. Struggling to find forks at the right price and a neighbour offered me his virtually unused MTB for a bargain price. EPO said go for it at that price. Put the bouncy forks off my old MTB onto the boys new frame and put the rigid ones back on my old one.
    She wanted me to sell the old one as I don't need 3 bikes. I tried to explain n+1 to her and she just laughed at me.
    Got some money from selling a motorbike for a friend, bought her a pair of boots, she's let me keep the old MTB as a winter hack.
    Everyones a winner.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Veronese68 wrote:
    She wanted me to sell the old one as I don't need 3 bikes. I tried to explain n+1 to her and she just laughed at me.
    Got some money from selling a motorbike for a friend, bought her a pair of boots, she's let me keep the old MTB as a winter hack.
    Everyones a winner.

Pretty sure my Mrs is planning on spending a Bianchi sized amount on "treats" for herself with my credit card.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem