Cycling Clubs West London - Recommendations Please

Curious Yellow
Curious Yellow Posts: 281
edited December 2011 in Road beginners
Hello,

I'm a commuter who's looking to get into some longer riding. I can ride weekday evenings, early mornings) or weekends. I'd like to join a club with a meeting point around Acton/Shepherds Bush/Twickenham so I can go riding 3-4 times a week, maybe more if possible. Willing to ride to meeting points if necessary. Just want to go riding with people who know some decent routes really.

I've looked on the internet, but most clubs seem to be further afield (Kingston and the like). If you know a club, or are a member and would recommend your club, then please don't keep it a secret!

Comments

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I ride with the Kingston Wheelers who are a good, friendly bunch and cover the full spectrum of relaxed Sunday rides to serious racing, with club/training rides to suit. Heard good things about Twikenham CC. Mixed reports about London Dynamo.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Where do your rides for new members start/finish? I'd like to have a go and see what it's like if that's alright please?
  • 9am on Sundays at the corner of Brighton Road and the Portsmouth Road in Surbiton (Laithwaites carpark). The beginner's rides are usually a little under 40 miles and take in a couple of hills with a cafe stop at Box Hill, finishing at Laithwaites. More info here: http://www.kingstonwheelers.com/clubrun.shtml
  • The Gregarios Superclub Ciclista have members from all over London, West London, Middlesex and Herts.
    Their rides are centered on Bushey Heath, which isn't really convenient for you - but may be a good option for other readers. Check out their website.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Where do your rides for new members start/finish? I'd like to have a go and see what it's like if that's alright please?
    We're a friendly bunch and as said above, there's always a ride for first timers. We have members coming down from places like Clapham and Fulham. If you want a friendly face to meet, log onto the KW website, go to the forum and look at the Club Run section. There's normally a thread put up a few days before the run and you can put a message there to say you'll be coming along and someone (probably ChrisW) will make sure you're looked after on the day.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    I'm not a part of Kingston Wheelers, but having come across various riders from lots of clubs in and around SW London, they're by far and away the friendliest*.

If I had the time and could be arsed that'd be the club I'd join.

*of the people I've met anyway.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    I'm not a part of Kingston Wheelers, but having come across various riders from lots of clubs in and around SW London, they're by far and away the friendliest*.

*of the people I've met anyway.

It's a big club, there's always a few who are gits.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Re. KW: is there a regular Saturday a.m. club run too, or just Sunday?

have been going out with Twickenham a bit cos their's is on Saturday and that sort of suits me ...
  • jibberjim
    Re. KW: is there a regular Saturday a.m. club run too, or just Sunday?

Sunday is the only official ride.

Rides are organised on the forum for just about every other day of the week and get anywhere from 1 to 20 riders on.
  • Hopefully I can join you guys in Kingston next weekend on Sunday. I will keep an eye on the forum.

I don't have a racing helmet (I have a pisspot helmet) and I don't use road cleats and pedals (use MTB clipless pedals and cleats instead). Hope this is ok too.

Will I be overloaded carrying a Camelbak with a spare inner tube, pump, tools and waterproof over a long distance? Also, any recommendations for some cheap clothing to wear? I usually just wear a compression top and tights with shorts and a t-shirt and carry a spare waterproof in the pack when I'm commuting.

Sorry for all the questions. Just want to be prepped.
  • jibberjim
    Will I be overloaded carrying a Camelbak with a spare inner tube, pump, tools and waterproof over a long distance? Also, any recommendations for some cheap clothing to wear? I usually just wear a compression top and tights with shorts and a t-shirt and carry a spare waterproof in the pack when I'm commuting.

Few people go with a camelback, drinking with a bottle is just too easy and unless it's a raceback it will slow you down from aerodynamics. Clothing - as long as it's tight if you're going to struggle with the time/distance (no point fighting baggyness) Loads of people use MTB shoes (or indeed flat pedals, and around eroica time you see guys with old toe clips too - less often outside of that)

The rest of your kit sounds the minimum you need to take (pump, innertube, clothing to stay warm whatever) and will be what everyone is carrying, if they're not they've not brought the correct stuff for a club run.

This time of year, with it cold, a pisspot helment will be fine - soon I'll be using by helmet with the taped up vents - it might get pretty hot in the summer.
  • Hopefully I can join you guys in Kingston next weekend on Sunday. I will keep an eye on the forum.

Did you turn up?

Chris W
    17 years commuting up and down the King\'s Road and i still don\'t get faster...
  • Unfortunately not. Hope to be able to in the New Year.