first time clipless. miles 20 tumbles 1

jimbo0023
jimbo0023 Posts: 96
edited November 2011 in Road beginners
hey all,
braved my clipless pedals cleats and shoes on the roads yesterday for the first time :)

was doing really well, getting ready at junctions/lights and planning my next move etc untill my pump fell out of my backpack as i'd mistakenly left it unzipped, i reacted without thinking put on the brakes and then tumbled to the ground :D

this to the guffaws of my sister and probably a few squirells in the park!

just thought i'd share with you all 8)

Comments

• pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    Well done. There was a first time for everyone!
  • Not too bad man! Glad to hear you have gotten along with them. Don't even remind me of my first few rides on clipless pedals :D
  • gmacz
    gmacz Posts: 343
    Pop the pedals on an old bike first, get through the falling off stage and then onto the main bike.
  • gmacz wrote:
    Pop the pedals on an old bike first, get through the falling off stage and then onto the main bike.

Not sure how many people have the luxury of a spare bike around, just in case they move to clipless pedals.

Fell off a couple of times the first few rides I did clipped in. You'll be fine. Just need to keep at it. It's the balance and turning at low speeds that's a bastard at the beginning. Love the extra power you can put through the bike though! How are you finding it apart from the falls?
  • Comedy falls at very slow speeds are a right of passage for any clipless user :) I still do it occasionally, always at busy traffic junctions!
  • GSVBagpuss wrote:
    I still do it occasionally, always at busy traffic junctions!

Likewise - most recent in front of half a dozen other city centre commuters! :oops:
    Allez Triple (hairy with mudguards) - FCN 4
    Ribble Gran Fondo
  • Only fallen off once, haven't been riding very long.Not very good at hills.I now remember toy unclip BEFORE I get to the point where I can't peddle fast enough to keep me upright :D
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    I was told: "When you start to fall, don't let go of the bars!" Don't know how good that advice is though!
  • frosty99
    frosty99 Posts: 115
    bought myself some pedals from wiggle (£31) and some shoes from sportsdirect (£22). I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the shoes for so little. They are Muddyfox RBS100, a few reviews on amazon were good so bought them and did my first ride yesterday. 40miles with one very close near tumble. The shoes were comfy, waterproof and I and loved the extra speed, into a strong headwind would usually be a big grind to 13mph but I was keeping up around 15-16 without slogging myself!! I got a bit complacent though and almost took a tumble at a T-junction up a hill when I suddenly realised I had no speed and no feet to put down. Didn't know which foot to put down so panicked ad went for both, luckily one unclipped as i was on the way down!!!!

Anyways anyone looking for cheap shoes, consider the Muddyfox ones on the sportdirect website, very comfy, very rigid and light to go with it!
  • phy2sll2 wrote:
    I was told: "When you start to fall, don't let go of the bars!" Don't know how good that advice is though!

Worked for me. My first fall was after 1/2 a mile when I came to a sudden stop. It didn't hurt at all, as I seemed to roll instead of landing sharply on my elbow or hand.

It seems to be the unexpected stops that catch people out, rather than traffic lights and junctions, where we can plan ahead.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Highly amusing cleat related story happened to me the other day.

Now I've ridden about 10,000 miles+ on clipless and previously had 1 comedy fall at the start of using them, I go riding every day etc etc.

The other week I was setting out at 8am Saturday for a 45 mile training ride. Coming up to some reds for some reason (maybe still asleep) I changed down gears when doing the old balancing act at 0mph...the gear slipped and I moved the pedal backwards. I started to fall and rippled my leg out of the cleat and slammed my foot down, the only trouble was I was off balance. With the force and speed of this action the saddle of my bike went right errmmm 'inside me'.

Basically I got raped by my own bike!! haha...was a white van next to me and I dare not look him in the eye as I rode sore-fully off trying to remove saddle, padding and lycra from my money maker.