Viking SS/fixie bike

bails87
bails87 Posts: 12,998
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
Anyone seen this? It was either on the front page here or on road.cc

For £200 it looks pretty good, with a fixed/ss flip flop hub. I'm tempted to sell my 'old' MTB and get one of these as a 'town' bike instead!

Not stocked in any local stores though :(
MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Looks great for £200.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Saw them the other week, no guard mounts, which is odd, because their cheap as chips road bikes have them.

If it had proper mounts I'd be all over one.

They do an even cheaper one that doesn't have all the retro gubbins on

http://www.bikes2udirect.com/B3875.html
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • bails87
    edited November 2011
    prawny wrote:
    Saw them the other week, no guard mounts, which is odd, because their cheap as chips road bikes have them.

If it had proper mounts I'd be all over one.

They do an even cheaper one that doesn't have all the retro gubbins on

http://www.bikes2udirect.com/B3875.html

Ooo, good find! I reckon I could sell my MTB for £100, just in time for Xmas :wink:

I mentioned my chain device on my proper MTB broke the other day, which was met with a "I suppose you need another new bike then?" and a roll of the eyes.

:lol:
    :oops:
    MTB/CX

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    To quote Keith Bontrager, "you can have light, strong and cheap - pick any two". £200 is a fantastic price - but I'd be terrified. I'd spend my £200 on a second hand Langster or something instead.

This isn't anti-Halfords snobbery, but.......
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • bails87
    Re: Light/strong/cheap.

It's cheap and strong! WEll, it's 26lbs, so I wouldn't call it light, especially when you consider there's very little drivetrain/shifting gubbins to add weight on.
    MTB/CX

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    These have been available for a while through catalogues and that, tbh I'd have thought they were a bit beneath even halfords!

But really, what can go wrong with a single speed? Like keith says, pick too, I expect these things weigh the same as a small car.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    bails87 wrote:

It's cheap and strong! WEll, it's 26lbs, so I wouldn't call it light, especially when you consider there's very little drivetrain/shifting gubbins to add weight on.

Yep, 26lbs is a bloody ton for a geared bike; nevermind one lacking all the 'usual' ancillaries.

So you're getting 2/3! And if it snaps in two, blame Wiggle.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Ben6899 wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

Yep, 26lbs is a bloody ton for a geared bike; nevermind one lacking all the 'usual' ancillaries.

So you're getting 2/3! And if it snaps in two, blame Wiggle.

It does beg the question what size shalls do you need to order for the tank.

i'd just spend the money secondhand and get something you want to ride.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    and also ride in reverse

Never seen many fixies being riden backwards {awaits someoe posting youtube footabe of courier backwards riding race....}
    About the Viking Brand
    First established in Wolverhampton in 1908, the Viking brand has a history rich in the tradition of top quality road bikes, and throughout the century had been synonymous with success.

I used to have a proper Viking in the 80's (a 10 speed Warlord - comlete with "sports mudguards"). This is the remnants of the brand, being just that, a brand slapped on a cheap taiwanese import, not sure what that has tp do with the bikes built in wolverhampton.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    t4tomo wrote:
    and also ride in reverse

Never seen many fixies being riden backwards {awaits someoe posting youtube footabe of courier backwards riding race....}

As requested

http://youtu.be/kcPVqayc8a0
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Yuk, next!

I think even my spank BSO is better made than that and that's saying something or wot n stuff
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,121
    Bails, for £200 or less for a new one you can't really go too far wrong if you're after a pub bike. and the one Prawny spotted probably won't attract too much attention even in the West Midlands.

Mind you, just wait until the Crudites find out what you're thinking of buying :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • bails87
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    and the one Prawny spotted probably won't attract too much attention even in the West Midlands.

Mind you, just wait until the Crudites find out what you're thinking of buying :wink:

Two good points! :lol:

:shock:
    MTB/CX

• Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    With how cheap it is you'll be able to buy some skinny jeans to ride in too.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo wrote:
    and also ride in reverse

As requested

Not that impressive to be honest - he couldn't find his way out of the car park :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    t4tomo wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:
    and also ride in reverse

As requested

Not that impressive to be honest - he couldn't find his way out of the car park :D

A little more impressive; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz9XRnV2qLk Mind you, we don't know that he made it out of the carpark either...........
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • I commute on the FX (the second link posted). Its a good bike tbh. No nonsense and easy enough to maintain (when it needs it). For the money I don't think you can go far wrong.
  • bails87
    It would only be something to be used within a few miles of home.

My current 'hack' (don't like calling it that because while it's not a great bike, it's in good nick and not really that old) is a ~£250 Claude Butler MTB, so relatively attractive to scrotes. A manky old racer, or a singlespeed would probably be better for leave-it-locked-up-and-it-still-be-there-later-ability, especially if it's being left overnight at the station.

Anyway, I just stumbled across the article on that Viking and thought they looked a bit better than the Create fixies that appeared on ebay a while ago.
    MTB/CX

• snooks
    snooks Posts: 1,521
    It's more fun to make your own :D

Plenty of old frames suitable for rebirth as a SS out there, a couple of wheels, and a chainset tah dah!

OK it might end up costing you more than £200, but much more uniqueness and satisfaction building your own. Also you know how it all works
    FCN:5, 8 & 9
    If I'm not riding I'm shooting http://grahamsnook.com
    THE Game
    Watch out for HGVs
  • bails87
    I built my MTB, I know how a bike works, especially an olde worlde one like a singlespeed with no suspension and cable brakes (soooo 20th century :wink:).

I'm in no rush though. I'll just see what I can find, might try to rescue something from the tip or freecycle.
    MTB/CX

• t4tomo
    http://www.cyclemuseum.org.uk/ncl/pics/Viking%20catalogue%201977%20(V-CC%20Library).pdf

link to "original" Vikings. I knew I'd seen it somewhere
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
  • bails87
    Viking superlite: £595.

In 1977! :shock:
    MTB/CX