Buying clothes online sucks

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
I give up

Bought 5 items from Wiggle last week, 4x dhb and one Altura

Altura didn't fit, too small, but the dhb ones were all the same size, and one pair of tights were fine but the shorts weren't, and one jersey was fine but the jacket wasn't

no more online clothes shopping for me, am going to get it from a shop from now on :evil:

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I'm the other way entirely. Except when on holiday in the USA (because the prices are stupid by comparision) I only ever buy clothes online. In fact I can only recall one T-Shirt purchased in emergency having poured coffee down the front of the one I was wearing whilst out and about in the last few years.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • I'm normally OK. I've found Assos a little bit hit-and-miss for inconsistency for sizing but the nearer Italy you get, the more you have to upsize!

It's frustrating when clothes from the same manufacturer don't fit you. I buy most of my work shirts from Crew Clothing but recently had two shirts that were too tight - bizarrely, worst on the forearms - and a couple of others that were pretty baggy.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    I find if I use the size guide and don't just pick medium cause that's what I normally go for, it tends to work out okay.

Only thing I don't like buying online are shoes but if you have had the brand before you usually know whether they will fit or not.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Buying clothes sucks period.
  • secretsam
    suzyb wrote:

surely you're a laydee? I thought all laydees liked shopping for clothes?

But I'm with you, 100%

• SecretSam wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

But I'm with you, 100%

Not all laydees. I'm with suzyb. Clothes shopping is dull and mostly disappointing. Functional stuff I buy online. Fashionable stuff I buy pretty rarely. Partly cos I can't afford it and partly cos I really can't be bothered to try on 17 pairs of jeans, all of which make me look larger than I am and don't fit in one place or another. I also do not like standing in shops surrounded by people who are much younger and cooler feeling stunned by the volume of music and bemused by all the products in there - is that a top? or a skirt? or a dress? humn.

As for shoe shopping... sigh... I have to try on at least 50 pairs before I find a pair that fits, so by the time I find something that does, I'm so grateful I buy two pairs. If only I could send out a personal shopper with a plaster cast of my feet. Now I'd pay for that service!
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It's frustrating when clothes from the same manufacturer don't fit you

Yep, I had a pair of Endura Humvees in medium that were great, maybe a bit on the small side round the waist. SO I got another pair of Endura shorts, this time the Singletracks. They were a Xmas present, but I told the buyer what size to get. So they turn up, in medium. I tried them on and they literally fell off me they were so big! So I swapped them for a small, which is still a bit too big at probably about a 33-34" waist. As opposed to the humvees, where a medium is about a 31" waist :?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • suzyb
    SecretSam wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

But I'm with you, 100%

Not all laydees. I'm with suzyb. Clothes shopping is dull and mostly disappointing. Functional stuff I buy online. Fashionable stuff I buy pretty rarely. Partly cos I can't afford it and partly cos I really can't be bothered to try on 17 pairs of jeans, all of which make me look larger than I am and don't fit in one place or another. I also do not like standing in shops surrounded by people who are much younger and cooler feeling stunned by the volume of music and bemused by all the products in there - is that a top? or a skirt? or a dress? humn.

As for shoe shopping... sigh... I have to try on at least 50 pairs before I find a pair that fits, so by the time I find something that does, I'm so grateful I buy two pairs. If only I could send out a personal shopper with a plaster cast of my feet. Now I'd pay for that service!
    I actually like shopping for footwear as I know I can find my size. Other items of clothing...not so much.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Depends what you're buying.

If you're discreet about your S&M sex life and want a gimp mask, I'd suggest using an internet provider.

For example.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    I've got a pair of Endura trousers, possibly Humvees, in L and the waist is tiny. It's so tight that the popper sometimes unpops, good job they have a belt with them. But the legs are long.
    I'm 6'2" and a 32" waist so I'm hardly fat. I think XL would have been too long in the leg so I stuck with the ones I've got thinking they'd give a little. Now 2 or 3 years old and still too tight.
    Very odd sizing.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Yeah, I think it's the Humvees that are small, rather than the Singletracks being large, as I'm very slim, so the Humvees are good for me, but for anyone normal they'd have to have at least an L, if not an XL.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I don't like shopping for myself but I love shopping for the missus.

I turn into a right Gok. All sense of financial probity goes out the window. I bought ONE jumper the other day for £140 for her. And she is an XS! I have seen more material on a tea-towel... it was beautiful though.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493

I turn into a right Gok. All sense of financial probity goes out the window. I bought ONE jumper the other day for £140 for her. And she is an XS! I have seen more material on a tea-towel... it was beautiful though.

Woah! Next you'll be shaving your legs............!
  • PBo wrote:

Woah! Next you'll be shaving your legs............!

Nah, CC doesn't like to shave himself, but he loves shaving his missus :shock:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    suzyb wrote:
    Buying clothes sucks full stop.

FTFY :wink: sorry, can't help myself

Back on topic: at least online shopping spares you overly friendly sales assistants - as bad as wheelsuckers! Seriously, after 30+ years of practice, I can just about manage to pick out a pair of jeans that fit me, all by myself.

Having said that the chap in Gap Croydon did produce a large owl sticker at the crucial moment, which kept the littl'un occupied, so they're not all bad.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I knew it was too good to be true having one or two girls on the forum to cheer the place up - and then they turn out to be non shopping obsessed fake girls. :(

Anyway, I bought a Prendas jersey online and that's ok but they are good at telling you what fits. I think the only other thing I bought was a Planet X Merino which is almost as wierdly sized as some of Aldi's more unusually shaped items. I steer clear of PX clobber now!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    rjsterry wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    Buying clothes sucks, full stop.

FTFY :wink: sorry, can't help myself
    FTFY sorry, can't help myself either. /grammar nazi
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • bails87 wrote:
    Yeah, I think it's the Humvees that are small

Agreed. I'm always a medium, and my medium Humvee 3/4s are usually a pretty good fit. However, if I have too much, um, energy food during the day, the top button has been known to pop open on the ride home.
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • secretsam
    So it's not just me, TFFT :lol:

Right - the campaign for sensible bike clothes sizing starts here!!

What do we want? Consistent clothes sizing that takes into account the range of cyclist's shapes, we are not all racing snakes!!! When do we want it? Now!!!!

PS: don't get me started on shoes...I have a head like a melon, broad shoulders, broad belly, a fat ar53 and so need my broad feet to carry all the weight...so, even if I did win the lottery, I could never have Sidis, for example... :evil:

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    No.

'English sensible sizes' discriminate against small chaps like me.

The Italian stuff fits me much better.

You're English, so buy English sized stuff. You want Italian? You better hope you're built like one.

*sighs*

Cycling stuff is the only clothing left that isn't a (figurative) ballache for me.

Edit: OK, on reading that, it comes across as a little more aggressive than I intended.
  • secretsam
    No.

You're English, so buy English sized stuff. You want Italian? You better hope you're built like one.

*sighs*

Cycling stuff is the only clothing left that isn't a (figurative) ballache for me.

Edit: OK, on reading that, it comes across as a little more aggressive than I intended.

F*** off to Italy then, and indulge your Santini fixation, you scrawny wretch :twisted:

Edit: That came across perfectly as I intended [/joking]

• Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    SecretSam wrote:
    suzyb wrote:

But I'm with you, 100%
    17 pairs of jeans, all of which make me look as large as I actually am

EFA
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • veronese68
    SecretSam wrote:
    No.

*sighs*

F*** off to Italy then, and indulge your Santini fixation, you scrawny wretch :twisted:

I am Italian FFS! But it doesn't matter as I can't afford the overpriced undersized tat they churn out.
  • You'd think the Italian sizing would account for the fact that the moment their women hit 40 they go from gisele bundchen to susan boyle...

Similar applies for the men.

You're doomed!
  • secretsam
    Veronese68 wrote:

I am Italian FFS! But it doesn't matter as I can't afford the overpriced undersized tat they churn out.[/quote]

That's utterly classic, the clue was in the name, really, wasn't it ? Size-ist dunce's cap for me (XL due to mahoosive but seemingly empty head)

• secretsam
    You'd think the Italian sizing would account for the fact that the moment their women hit 40 they go from gisele bundchen to susan boyle...

You're doomed!

Back of the net! Same thing happened to me, but I'm not Italian...maybe it was the pies after all...

• veronese68
    SecretSam wrote:
    You'd think the Italian sizing would account for the fact that the moment their women hit 40 they go from gisele bundchen to susan boyle...

You're doomed!

Back of the net! Same thing happened to me, but I'm not Italian...maybe it was the pies after all...

Not yet, over 40 and still quite skinny. I'm not your typical Italian though. Long and thin. But then I'm a mongrel really, my Dad is from Bolton, my Mum is Italian. I was born in Verona, but lived here most of my life.
  • suzyb
    I thought you're name was some merging of Veronica and part of a surname :oops:
  • veronese68
    suzyb wrote:
    No, 'fraid not. From Verona and born in 1968. Although the spelling is the same in either language I always say it in Italian in my head.
  • secretsam
    Veronese68 wrote:
    suzyb wrote:
    No, 'fraid not. From Verona and born in 1968. Although the spelling is the same in either language I always say it in Italian in my head.

Which of Verona's teams do you support (Note: I've read "A Season with Verona", which was great)