Knee pain and cleat positioning

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited November 2011 in Road beginners
So I have SPD-SLs and when I put them on, they were fine. Managed a 180 miler without so much as a peep from my knees.

However, as I have one bike only, the cleats are constantly clipped in out (so maybe have twisted them?) and as I commute on it, my saddle has moved since the above mentioned ride. (bounced downwards after hitting a pothole, so have found it hard to return it to exactly where it was).

I did another 170 mile ride (stopped for a couple of hours around 110/120) but when I got off the bike I couldn't walk. Absolute agony. Similarly the next 50 miles were pretty horrendous and then I got off and had to take the train - again unable to walk.

I haven't done many 'longer' rides since then (a couple of months) but have still commuted every day, usually as fast as I can, but on Saturday I did 40 miles and just started to feel a twinge, and then all evening I was in quite a lot of pain, tackling stairs was especially painful!

I think I have worked out the pain is equally split down both sides of my knee (left knee), literally bang on the side of the knee - a bit further back than the kneecap, but the pain is felt right on the surface, under the skin (as opposed to some deep pain which I cant locate).

I have float (the yellow cleats) so cant work out why this is, and I'm particularly annoyed that its started, especially when I had the fluke to get it perfect when I 1st set them up.

Anyhow - any ideas where to move them to elimiate this problem? Side - to side? backwards, forwards, move saddle?
I am doing the L2P in 24H and that comes with a free bike fit which is pretty useful. Might have to get it done ASAP!

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Have a read of this site and see if it'll help. I bought some of the wedges and they completely erradicated any knee pain.

http://www.cyclefit.co.uk/bikefit-system-wedges-2
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Anonymous
    Looks interesting - thanks!

Just not sure how it used to be perfect, now gone bad.....
  • 1) if the fit was perfect before - you wont suddenly need wedges
    2) wrong saddle height by 5mm or more can cause a huge amount of pain after a long ride - and from your description this looks like the variable
    3) if the cleats have slipped you should be able to tell by examining the underside of the shoe
  • Anonymous
    cheers FL - its not the saddle height which has changed. Its only the forward/backwards and tilt which are affected by the potholes. I have a nightmareish triple clamp which seems impossible to actually set the saddle with any precision whatsoever.

Im not sure I have the patience to try every saddle iteration then bosh out 50 miles to see if my knees twinge. Is there a shortcut?