Eurosport Scraping the Barrel

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited November 2011 in The bottom bracket
Trawling throughthe channels on Saturday morning and tuned in out of interest to watch Eurosports' coverage of the Table Football World Cup. I think it was the Final France v Germany. They even had a couple of commentators getting excited over the match, ' Oh that is an amazing comeback from France!.. Ludwig is showing his frustration now!' It's table football for gods sake! I know we are entering down time for many sports, but surely even this is a little bit desperate for TV sports coverage. What next Champions League Monopoly every Tuesday and Wedsnesday night?
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• Keith Oates
    Keith Oates Posts: 22,036
    I can't see table football being a big hit with the advertisers so it should soon die off..................maybe it's another French and German stitch up to keep their names in the public eye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ride Daily, Keep Healthy
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Don't underestimate the crowd pull of Fussball.
    It's Germany Vs France after all.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    I was in the gym a while ago and on the TV (for some unknown reason) was German Eurosport (I wasn't in Germany at the time which is why I thought it was a bit weird) showing some sort of billiards world championship final - weird game ona snooker/billiards table with no pockets and each dude had to a trick shot and had three attempts at it.

Both "competitors" were real nerds but had adopted personas while they were at the baize - punching the air when a shot came off, that sort of thing.

Bizarrely enthralling after a while though .....
  • lucan
    lucan Posts: 339
    I feel the same about football - any football. How can grown men (commentators and spectators) get so emotional, jumping up and down and screaming with excitement as they watch other men kick a ball about on the grass.

I sometimes wonder, when I'm listening to football commentators almost exploding with excitement at a goal, what would they be like if they saw something really important happen.
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Yossie wrote:
    I was in the gym a while ago and on the TV (for some unknown reason) was German Eurosport (I wasn't in Germany at the time which is why I thought it was a bit weird) showing some sort of billiards world championship final - weird game ona snooker/billiards table with no pockets and each dude had to a trick shot and had three attempts at it.

Both "competitors" were real nerds but had adopted personas while they were at the baize - punching the air when a shot came off, that sort of thing.

Bizarrely enthralling after a while though .....

That is 'Artistic Billiards'

Very interesting game.
  • Well it may be Eurosport, but it can't get any worse than the usual dire BBC bile of a constant stream of darts, snooker, OAP Bowls and horseracing. Yet before too long they may/will lose their licence for these dire offerings.

The it'll be the "Watching paint dry championships - Final - Crown Solo vs Dulux Double Gloss"
    or "Dominoes"

I.e. wheres the ladies Beach Volleyball when you need it?? Or the topless surfing??
    "Commuterised" Specialized Rockhopper Disc 2004.
    FCN #7 - Skinny tyres and Cleats.
    1962 Rory O'Brien Roadie Lightweight. (but heavy by todays standards!)
    FCN #4
    2007 Specialized Roubaix Expert.
    FCN # 1/2 - Cobbly racing tyres and MTB cleats.
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Oi!

There's nowt wrong with Subbuteo, the sport of kings.

*Goes off to polish the bases on his West Ham side (1976 European Cup Winners Final Kit) before practising free kicks at the size NN smaller goals*
  • Aerozine50 wrote:
    Well it may be Eurosport, but it can't get any worse than the usual dire BBC bile of a constant stream of darts, snooker, OAP Bowls and horseracing. Yet before too long they may/will lose their licence for these dire offerings.

The it'll be the "Watching paint dry championships - Final - Crown Solo vs Dulux Double Gloss"
    or "Dominoes"

Nah, they'll go for more celeb and/or talent(I use the word loosely)-based reality shows of the Strictly Putting Off Brucie's Retirement variety.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    None of these things can be worse than "Power Snooker", which was on ITV4 at the weekend. Like normal snooker, but:

-30 minute matches, with aggregate scores, so it doesn't matter if you win the frame or not.
    - The area above the baulk line is now the POWER ZONE!!! If you pot a ball from there, it's worth double.
    - Fewer reds, plus one stripy red. If you pot the stripy red the referee shouts POWER BALL!!! and you get two minutes where everything is double points.
    - P*ssed up idiots in the crowd shouting and booing the players. That female ref dressed up like she's going out on a hen night. Disco lights on the snooker table.

Add in the blonde bimbo doing the interviews and the dolly birds doing the player walk-ons, it was like something from a 1970s episode of the Generation Game.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Whilever Sky are showing US wrestling and 'Aerobics Oz Style' the sound of a barrel being scraped will only ever come from one direction.

Bob
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Devotees of a minority sport complaining that a TV channel is showing minority sports.

You couldn't make it up.
  • Aerozine50 wrote:
    Well it may be Eurosport, but it can't get any worse than the usual dire BBC bile of a constant stream of darts, snooker, OAP Bowls and horseracing. Yet before too long they may/will lose their licence for these dire offerings.

or "Dominoes"

Nah, they'll go for more celeb and/or talent(I use the word loosely)-based reality shows of the Strictly Putting Off Brucie's Retirement variety.

David

But yes at least "Strictly Putting off Sir Brucies retirement" is actually a tad bit entertaining. At least you get to see scantily clad dolly birds strutting their stuff. As for Simon Cowell's chav factor give me a rifle any day!!!
    "Commuterised" Specialized Rockhopper Disc 2004.
    FCN #7 - Skinny tyres and Cleats.
    1962 Rory O'Brien Roadie Lightweight. (but heavy by todays standards!)
    FCN #4
    2007 Specialized Roubaix Expert.
    FCN # 1/2 - Cobbly racing tyres and MTB cleats.
  • afx237vi wrote:
    None of these things can be worse than "Power Snooker", which was on ITV4 at the weekend. Like normal snooker, but:

-30 minute matches, with aggregate scores, so it doesn't matter if you win the frame or not.
    - The area above the baulk line is now the POWER ZONE!!! If you pot a ball from there, it's worth double.
    - Fewer reds, plus one stripy red. If you pot the stripy red the referee shouts POWER BALL!!! and you get two minutes where everything is double points.
    - P*ssed up idiots in the crowd shouting and booing the players. That female ref dressed up like she's going out on a hen night. Disco lights on the snooker table.

Add in the blonde bimbo doing the interviews and the dolly birds doing the player walk-ons, it was like something from a 1970s episode of the Generation Game.

Sounds like ITV4 have scored a bad miss with that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZTiRdcURuI

;)

David
  • Smokin Joe wrote:
    Devotees of a minority sport complaining that a TV channel is showing minority sports.

Only here in Blighty though, and even so hard to see how it could play second-best to table football. Plus given the above-average amount of road racing on ITV4 and both that channel and the Beeb covering track events, the profile of cycling is definitely on the up.

David
  • "Monkey Tennis"
  • ynyswen24 wrote:
    "Monkey Tennis"

:D

David
  • beverick wrote:
    Whilever Sky are showing US wrestling and 'Aerobics Oz Style' the sound of a barrel being scraped will only ever come from one direction.

Bob

The Rock says that you should go and eat your fruity pebbles before he turns your bike sideways, shines it up real nice and sticks it straight up your candy ass!
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    personally i dont mind watching the table footy on Eurosport, theyve been showing it for years. I love a game of it myself, and the skill level of them lads is something else, far rather watch it than boring tennis or motor racing.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....