Shimano vs KMC Chains: My verdict

Will Nunez
Will Nunez Posts: 203
edited November 2011 in Workshop
Ran a shimano 105 chain. .75 stretch at 1700 miles, replaced at 1800 miles. Marginally better than my previous experience with tiagra HG53 chain (1600 miles).

Decided to believe KMC sales hype. Bought a 10 speed gold L. 30% more expensive. How much more durable was it?

It wasnt, .75 stretch at 1700 miles! Not worth the extra money IMHO. Anyone had better results?

Admittedly the chain was put onto a casstte and chainring that are 1800 miles old, but still would have expected more from a chain that is marketed as more durable and rust resistant.

Bioth chains lubed every week in dry and after each wet ride. Monthly off bike degrease and deep clean
Current Stock:
Carrera Vanquish '08
Orbea Onix T105 '11
Carrera Fury '07

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Mmm KMC make Shimano chains.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I only use KMC chains, but mine seem to last more than 1700 miles, cassette on my main wheel is probably knackered, but between 3 bikes I have done 10,000 miles without a change of chain. Wheel works fine on all 3 bikes though, so can't be too bad, as one bike has only done a few of those miles. My Gold SL is still rust free, though alot of the gold has been rubbed off by the front mech.

Chains don't stretch they wear, and you might have found that with a new cassette it might have lasted longer, but I think wear comes down to alot of things.
  • On my first bike I ran a tiagra chain for 6500 miles. The chain ring ended up like one of those ninja star weapons and regularly cut my legs when i came in contact :-). After that I started to use a chain checker. I replace well before 1.0, but order one at .75.

I knew that KMC did Shimano chains so wondered how much of the "much more durable" was hype. Rust free isnt an issue for me, I ride 6 days a week and chain gets lubed regularly. For 30% premium I would have expected a lot more durability. Cant say I notice things like "chain suck" etc. Previous 105 chain ran problem free. Ill alternate, I think, get a shimano next. replace cassette and large chaing ring with next chain change after that with KMC and then see if KMC is any better on fresh cogs.

To be continues.....
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Not really a proper scientific comparison though - eg, if this report is hot off the press, did the 1700 miles of the KMC come during the mankier conditions of the Autumn? You'd really need to keep swapping between chains on a regular basis to get a convincing idea of relative durability.

Not that I'm convinced it makes much difference what chain you buy anyway! I reckon chains lifespan is down to how many wet miles you do and your drivetrain cleaning regime.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I agree Rolf, not very scientic. Shim105 was on mid June to start of sept. KMC since then, so KMC has had more crud miles. Drive train cleaning regime is weekly wipe and lube in dry, Wipe and lube after every wet ride and a proper deep clean once a month. Same for both chains. For the extra cash I would expect at least 15% more miles.

re mankter conditions, surelt what we are measuring here is chain wear/stretch, the conditions arent going to have that big an impact if the chain is maintained.

the other thing worth mentioning is i ise fenwicks professional lube, rather than a wet lube or waxy dry lube.
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Mankier conditions will have a far greater impact on drivechain wear than anything else. The crap that sprays up off the road and adheres to your chain acts like an effective grinding paste. It's even worse once the frosts start and it's got salt in it as well.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Agreed with Keef ^^^ as chain stretch is more down to a wearing of the rollers than physically stretching of the metal plates.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I've got a Duraace chain on one bike with squat wear on it after 4500 miles, after reading posts on here with quotes of 1500 miles i've mentioned it in various LBS and the lowest mileage given was 4000, one bloke laughed at 1500 miles and said that he'd be swapping his chain every month.
  • bobgfish
    bobgfish Posts: 545
    Well last winter I went through Shimano chains a lot. Did twice the Km's on the KMC's as the shimano's I also had multiple shimano chains break and even had to push a mate 5 kms or so to the nearest bike store after his ultegra expired mid ride after 400km. Peronally I'm happy with 3000km or so per KMC chain and just buy the X10L for 26 euros a go. They cost 21 Euros for a 105 but the KMC last a lot longer and so far (touch wood) caused me no issues.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    KMC every time.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Chain manufacturers just love chain wear gauges. They sell a lot of chains that way. Most gauges measure both the wear on the pins (which causes 'stretch') and wear on the rollers which does not and is not important until it gets bad enough to see easily. This gives an exaggerated wear rate. Far better to use a ruler and measure between two pin centres 12" apart with the chain in tension. If this gets to 12.1" you should be changing the chain. I easily get about 3000 summer or 2000 winter miles per chain and 3 chains per cassette this way.
    I have used KMC, Shimano and Wipperman and never found much difference. I like KMC for the quick link.
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    John.T wrote:
    Chain manufacturers just love chain wear gauges. They sell a lot of chains that way. Most gauges measure both the wear on the pins (which causes 'stretch') and wear on the rollers which does not and is not important until it gets bad enough to see easily. This gives an exaggerated wear rate. Far better to use a ruler and measure between two pin centres 12" apart with the chain in tension. If this gets to 12.1" you should be changing the chain. I easily get about 3000 summer or 2000 winter miles per chain and 3 chains per cassette this way.
    I have used KMC, Shimano and Wipperman and never found much difference. I like KMC for the quick link.

This may well be true, but I change my chains as per my cheapo fat spanner checker, at around 0.75% and I get similar mileages to you, and have a cassette on one of my wheels that is on it's fourth chain!

I must admit I find checkers quite handy to use.

My last KMC chain failed early through the side plates cracking though.
  • John.T
    Having seen 2 instances of checkers failing a new chain I don't trust them.
    My summer mileage is really just a guess as they last so long I don't count. Just measure now and again. The winter mileage does vary. If I fit a new one in September it will usually last until March / April. With a bit of luck and pushing the 3rd chain I can get 4 winters from a cassette. It is then about shot. I have not yet bought a new cassette for the best bike as they have all ended up on the winter one for various reasons. The mileages I quoted are minimums. I just don't get this talk of 1000 miles or less.
    There was a rogue batch of KMC chains arouns a few years ago. Not had any trouble myself.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    John.T wrote:

That is slightly disturbing. Given that a chain checker is a bit of metal of a certain fixed dimension, then if a checker fails a new chain it surely suggests some serious quality control problems at the manufacturer of the chain. I'd be more inclined to distrust the new chain assuming that the checker doesn't fail all new chains.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • John.T
    Rolf F wrote:
    John.T wrote:

That is slightly disturbing. Given that a chain checker is a bit of metal of a certain fixed dimension, then if a checker fails a new chain it surely suggests some serious quality control problems at the manufacturer of the chain. I'd be more inclined to distrust the new chain assuming that the checker doesn't fail all new chains.
    The reason it can fail a new chain is the roller tolerances on chains vary. This does not affect the pitch of the chain as this is governed by the pin tolerance. Chain checkers add both these together so if the roller tolerance is high (by design) the chain will fail the test as the checker pushes the rollers in opposite directions thus doubling the tolerance measured.
    As the wear that affects cassette wear is the pin wear this is the only one that should be measured hence use a ruler. It is also cheaper especially as you probably already have one.
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    Got similar groupo on both winter and summer bikes, 5000km between chains on summer bike, 2000km on winter. I change just before .75% just to be sure. I use KMC and Shimano, but with KMC links on both. Personally would rather change early just to be sure as use a few different wheels and cassettes. £20 per chain every few months isn't going to change my life so I'd rather be sure!
  • What mileage do you get from chain rings? Just ordered a new shimano as chainring showing signs of scalloping and just want something to get a coupleof thousand milesmoreout of cassette. Guessing the next chain swap willmean new chainring as well as cassette.
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    Got 15000km on my summer bike with FSA rings and seems ok still. Wore a Sram Rival out in 5000km though:-( - in the winter though
  • Hmmm, was going to ride my precious Orbea through the winter.Now thinking of mothballing it till march and going back to the vanquish!!!
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Would be sensible however some exaggerate the winter effect somewhat. Compared to last year I have yet to see the gritter out which is a good thing delaying the need to use a 'winter bike' so far.
  • John.T
    No gritters but the local farmers have been leaving half their fields on the roads for weeks now. It makes good grinding paste. A lot depends where you ride.
  • keef66
    No gritters here yet but the sugar beet harvest is in full swing which is leaving some roads looking like the Somme
  • Don't understand what is happening with prices on Ribble, as the KMC X10 is now GBP 16, whereas it was only GBP 13 in mid September. The cheapest I can see a 105 for is on Rose at EUR 16, which is about the same as the old price for the KMC. So nothing there in price...

The KMC comes with that quick link which makes it simple to whip the chain off and into a jamjar of Finish Line Orange degreaser, which I do whenever the whether has been really bad and the chain is looking like its covered in muck to the extent that its getting damaged. Intuitively, this makes me think the KMC will last longer, although I guess that the wear rate in the chain might have nothing to do with the visible grime. My last KMC chain managed easily 2000 miles, and for the price, I see no reason to grumble.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    John.T wrote:
    No gritters but the local farmers have been leaving half their fields on the roads for weeks now. It makes good grinding paste. A lot depends where you ride.

keef66 wrote:
    No gritters here yet but the sugar beet harvest is in full swing which is leaving some roads looking like the Somme

Quite true gents point taken. I wont count my chickens as it's turned colder and windier..
  • Don't understand what is happening with prices on Ribble, as the KMC X10 is now GBP 16, whereas it was only GBP 13 in mid September. The cheapest I can see a 105 for is on Rose at EUR 16, which is about the same as the old price for the KMC. So nothing there in price...

The KMC comes with that quick link which makes it simple to whip the chain off and into a jamjar of Finish Line Orange degreaser, which I do whenever the whether has been really bad and the chain is looking like its covered in muck to the extent that its getting damaged. Intuitively, this makes me think the KMC will last longer, although I guess that the wear rate in the chain might have nothing to do with the visible grime. My last KMC chain managed easily 2000 miles, and for the price, I see no reason to grumble.

The 105 i think is the equiv of the X10L in that it has the inner side plates with a "hole in it" so is one up on the X10. Think the X10 L is closer to 20 quid. The links are resusable so once you have a KMC or have bought some links those are usable on the 105. Im guessing the X10 is tiagra level and based upon my experience of tiagra cannot be as bad as the shimano, which i think uses a peanut butter alloy as it has all the elasticity and durability of a plastecine chain. Most I ever got was 1400 miles
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    [
    The 105 i think is the equiv of the X10L in that it has the inner side plates with a "hole in it" so is one up on the X10. Think the X10 L is closer to 20 quid. The links are resusable so once you have a KMC or have bought some links those are usable on the 105. Im guessing the X10 is tiagra level and based upon my experience of tiagra cannot be as bad as the shimano, which i think uses a peanut butter alloy as it has all the elasticity and durability of a plastecine chain. Most I ever got was 1400 miles[/quote]

AS HAS ALREADY BEEN POINTED OUT KMC MANUFACTURE SHIMANO CHAINS, ITS JUST BADGE ENGINEERING, YET PEOPLE STILL LINE UP TO SHOW THERE IGNORANCE, AND QUOTE MEANINGLESS ANECDOTES ABOUT HOW MUCH BETTER KMC CHAINS ARE !!!!!!
  • Bit harsh bruce, not sure if caps were intentional.

Original anecdote was that kmc were not better than Shimano or worth the extra that they cost.

Think its more than badge engineering, eg X10L Gold has a coating that none of the shimanos do. Hence the reason why I equated the X10L to the 105 as im guessing they are one in the same thing. My original post was to stae that I would have expected more from the KMC X10L gold compared to the standard Shimano 105 which is most prob just an X10L with no coating.

But as people have rightly pointed out hardly scientific as the weather conditions in my comparison are different and the wear of the chain ring and assettes will be a factor too.

Made an error above, tiagra I was using was 9 speed so would have been X9
    Current Stock:
    Carrera Vanquish '08
    Orbea Onix T105 '11
    Carrera Fury '07
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    edited November 2011
    Will Nunez wrote:
    Bit harsh bruce, not sure if caps were intentional.

Think its more than badge engineering, eg X10L Gold has a coating that none of the shimanos do. would have expected more from the KMC X10L gold compared to the standard Shimano 105 which is most prob just an X10L with no coating.

But as people have rightly pointed out hardly scientific as the weather conditions in my comparison are different and the wear of the chain ring and assettes will be a factor too.

Made an error above, tiagra I was using was 9 speed so would have been X9

Guess that really depends on whether you buy the gold or silver option of KMC, they are not all gold, AGAIN GENERAL IGNORANCE, therefore where the need dictates the KMC factory will apply the LOGO and colour of finish to suit ie Badge Engineering, I doubt they have a whole special line set up to generate either sub standard shimano or indeed sub standard KMC chain just to satisfy the foibles of people who want to question the life span of two of the same chains on an internet forum. It will be far to cost prohibitive in terms of production

Apologies for sounding a bit harsh, but it was pointed out at the very beginning of the thread that they are one of the same, and with people coming on here for genuine guidance / help this sort of nonsense only goes to create more confusion for anyone looking for some useful information
  • keef66
    Correction! We were gritted last night for the first time. Well, the road was.

They got that one right; patches of frost all over the place this morning.