First ride with a club group

Comments

• Hi,
    I'm getting worried now.
    Just got my first road bike and am trying to build up my fitness/speed to have a ride with my local club (Surbiton area), but 24mph average speed. It's going to take a heck of a lot of drafting to get my average up by that much. Loads more practice needed I think.

Cheers

Nick
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,821
    Ah Nick,

Turn up, and see how it goes. If you get blown out the back, you'll need a little more practice.

Any proper club caters for everyone.

I was worried and trained like mad before I joined - turned out I trained hard enough to keep up with the fast boys (just...).

Could have joined a lot earlier and had a lot more fun.

Just turn up and see. People should be pleased you're even there!!
  • Did my first group ride a couple of months back.Had such a blast,so much better than on your own.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    nick300zx wrote:
    I'm getting worried now.

So this is a "club run" - http://app.strava.com/segment_efforts/41081626 So it's 24.3mph for almost an hour, but of course it's not really a club run, it's an organised club ride, but the vast majority of the club could not join the ride.

This is also a "club run" - http://app.strava.com/rides/2233818 which only went at 16.5mph, and they'll be rides throughout the speeds in between. As others have said, most clubs, particularly if they're reasonably large will have groups that cater to most speeds / fitness / ideas. Nick, if you can ride a bike, can not be dangerous (descend really carefully, be really predictable in your moves etc.), can carry enough food, tools, tubes to deal with any reasonable eventually to you or your bike. Then go for a ride, if you're in Surbiton area, KW get 5 or more "newbies" every week, some find it incredibly tough on the newbie ride, others find it dull and make their way up to the faster rides. If you know that route in the 2nd link, even if you're straight out the back you'll be able to make it home, but it's quite unlikely that you will be.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    zippy483 wrote:
    Slightly off topic but on theme so to speak

When is the best time to approach a club, as soon as your behind hits a saddle or when you have a few miles under your belt so you've hopefully built a base level of fitness

Sooner the better I reckon. I'd had my road bike 4 days before I did my first club training session. Was hard at first but soon got into it. Had done about a year riding a mountain bike before that as well
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    markos1963 wrote:

I think something should be explained here, 23-24mph ave doesn't sound like an average club ride to me.

Unless there are logs to back it up then I'd agree.

There's always going to be people that doubt, it sounds a lot above what most people class as a good average. As Jim (I'm sure I am who you think I am) has pointed out, many and probably the majority of KW club runs average under 18.5 mph over all kinds of distances. But for clarity check out the strava post from Jim, and then look at the training loop segment.

Thing is with these chain gang rides which I suppose is what they are, don't be out off by numbers, I didnt think I was up to it at the beginning, truth be told I was probably right, but the time it takes to get fit and fast isn't as long as you'd imagine. I don't even think the miles you do day to day need to be hard to see real benefits. I started the year nearly 3 stone heavier than I am now and looking back it amazes me what a bit of enthusiasm can get you.

That all being said I did pussyfoot around before I joined the first one as I didn't want to embarrass myself! But worst case is you to home alone I guess!
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • After saying I wouldn't join a club i must confess I'm looking at my local club West Lothian Clarion, still to mail them and see if I would be able to join etc but after reading the OP its reassuring that some clubs do a lot for beginners.
  • I'm going on my first club ride on Sunday morning with the Leicester forest east club. Not sure what the pace will be but it's classed as a beginners ride over about 26miles with a cake stop. Looking forward to it :)
  • gareth273 wrote:
    I'm going on my first club ride on Sunday morning with the Leicester forest east club. Not sure what the pace will be but it's classed as a beginners ride over about 26miles with a cake stop. Looking forward to it :)

Originally from Leicester,What route do they do?
  • Looking at the route map they ride to the west of Leicester starting near Desford and then out towards Bosworth/measham area.
  • I went for my second ride with the Swindon Road club today. It was a bit windy and there were a few less people still a good size group though. Miles were 28 my average again was 17.4mph. I even did about 8 miles on the front, I felt like I had more of a work out on the front. Last week I had it easy back in the bunch. So yes maybe I could go faster but not on the front It was hard work into the wind toady. I think being pulled along by the group lulled me into a false sense of security and I soon found I was near to my capable speed when I went on the front. Still I hit 30mph on the last bit of duel carriageway into Cirencester good fun I'm looking forward to next weeks ride.

Oh I got some road bike shoes that arrved today I fitted and tried them when I came back from my ride as I am ridng in MTB shoes everyone else is wearing road shoes. I feel like the kid who turned up to a football match and everyone else is wearing football boots and I'm wearing trainers. No one has said anything and It doesn't effect my ability to keep up but the solid feel of the carbon fibre soles on the road shoes feel like I will be able to put more power into the pedals. Lets hope I don't fall off and make a fool of myself as they are a bit trickier to clip into than the the double sided MTB pedals I'm used to.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 18,054
    Oh I got some road bike shoes that arrved today I fitted and tried them when I came back from my ride as I am ridng in MTB shoes everyone else is wearing road shoes. [...] Lets hope I don't fall off and make a fool of myself as they are a bit trickier to clip into than the the double sided MTB pedals I'm used to.
    I use road-type Shimano shoes on double sided MTB pedals - and no-one in the club takes a blind bit of notice. As I use the MTB pedals on my commuting bike, and am frequently switching bikes, it makes perfect sense to me. (And if I'm honest I'm on a bit of a mission to prove that they are perfectly good for road riding, as well as being easier to use, cheaper, and the cleats much longer-lasting.)
  • Subsy
    Subsy Posts: 36
    Its great being part of a club. I've just relocated to Norfolk (and I'm missing hills, but that's another story) and joined a really small but great club. Love our rides.

Only thing to mention is don't be afraid of going a bit slower - the group wll slow down for you - the tendency is to push to keep up with faster riders, and this is all well and good, but during the winter you want to be building your aerobic base, and ideally the majority of your winter rides should be below your anaerobic threshold.
  • I've enjoyed reading this thread, as I'm looking at joining a club :)

Only just got a road bike and have decided before going on a club run, am going to do a couple of 30 to 50 mile runs on my own first. I want the confidence that I can do the distances, even if the speed is lacking :wink:

I think there are too many variables to worry about average speeds too much. My commute has been anywhere between 10 to 19 mph (Hybrid with luggage) and varies daily on each ride.
  • The windy conditions made it hard work for everyone yesterday, but I never cry off if it's windy tipping down with rain that will do it! I don't mind light rain if I get caught out in it!

I was just amazed we were able to ride at the same pace as last week when there was no wind as a solo ride I know the windy conditions slow me down big time!
  • Subsy
    essjaydee wrote:
    I've enjoyed reading this thread, as I'm looking at joining a club :)

Only just got a road bike and have decided before going on a club run, am going to do a couple of 30 to 50 mile runs on my own first. I want the confidence that I can do the distances, even if the speed is lacking :wink:

I think there are too many variables to worry about average speeds too much. My commute has been anywhere between 10 to 19 mph (Hybrid with luggage) and varies daily on each ride.

Just make sure you that when you start upping your distances like this you adopt a comfortable pace.
    I know from experience that its very easy to overdo it when you're starting out, go too fast and hard, and after 25 miles feel like you want to be home, when in reality you're 20 miles away! Taking it nice and easy and you can go all day and feel great. Being on a bike regularly, you'll soon work out a few things about your body, and find your fitness limits, which will change over time.
  • Subsy
    The windy conditions made it hard work for everyone yesterday, but I never cry off if it's windy tipping down with rain that will do it! I don't mind light rain if I get caught out in it!

I was just amazed we were able to ride at the same pace as last week when there was no wind as a solo ride I know the windy conditions slow me down big time!

I've not ridden in such strong winds as yesterday for ages. Thought I was going to start going backwards at one point :)
  • Must have been windier where you are wasn't quite that bad here!
  • Subsy
    Must have been windier where you are wasn't quite that bad here!

Norfolk - distinct lack of hills, but plenty of headwind!
  • @subsy....good advice...thanks :)

Been out earlier. Took it nice and steady as it was very gusty here today and it was my first ride on the new bike (Boardman Road race) :D
    Felt pretty strange to start off with as it's totally different to my Hybrid commuter, but quickly got used to the gears and brakes and....WOW.....it's a lot easier to go a lot quicker :D

Did 42 miles, with a cafe stop half way.
    16.2 mph average
    2hr 34 mins

Loved every second of it though, and feel pretty good at the moment, so reckon I'll give the club run a go next weekend 8)
  • Subsy
    Good going SJD :)
  • Interesting thread - I've been thinking about joining a club in Coventry that have a starting point very close to my house and seem to do runs on the same roads that I cycle on - I am slightly put off by the Sunday 9am start times though.

Like a lot of folk I am nervous about being able to keep up and that sort of thing, but going by other posts my average speed seems to be ok (18mph on my short 20km circuit, or 17mph when doing much longer runs). I actually ended up on the road at the same time as two riders from that club earlier today and was able to keep up with them easily enough for the mile or so that they were taking the same route as me, but I have never been used to cycling alongside others - so kept just behind them with fingers poised on brakes incase they did something I didn't expect!

The other thing that worries me is the etiquette side of things that always comes with club activities of any sort and perhaps a feeling of being tied in to doing certain things rather than being completely independent. A bit of a trade-off I guess and you can still be independent when you are doing runs on your own as it's not as though you would be giving them up by joining a club.
  • briantrumpet
    am slightly put off by the Sunday 9am start times though. [...] The other thing that worries me is the etiquette side of things that always comes with club activities of any sort and perhaps a feeling of being tied in to doing certain things rather than being completely independent. A bit of a trade-off I guess and you can still be independent when you are doing runs on your own as it's not as though you would be giving them up by joining a club.
    One of the plus sides for me is the incentive to get out of bed at a sensible time on a Sunday ... even though I do a lot of evening work, I do try to make the Sunday club runs, even if I do then go into lazy mode afterwards. And, of course, if I really don't feel like going out ... I don't. Same for other club stuff - if I want to go for a solo ride, there's nothing stopping me. No trade-off at all, just more opportunities ... and club subscriptions won't break the bank, even if you do only go for a few rides with them over the year. But I suspect you'll appreciate all the support and advice they'll give (and guidance on etiquette), and you'll soon learn the ropes and techniques.
  • Yeah, I think I will eventually bite the bullet and give it (club riding) a go. I bought my bike a year ago, but it's only recently that I have really upped what I am doing on it - for months on end I was only short 10 mile stints in and out of the city every couple of weeks to build up confidence for riding on the roads before settling on a 20km circuit and doing that once a week - and then doing that twice a week as the bug started to take hold.

These days I am now doing that 20km circuit on a Saturday and doing longer runs on a Sunday (typically anything from 20 miles to 35 miles), and need to up that a bit to cope ok with the beginner club runs which seem to be around 45 miles - and I think it won't be too difficult to do that as I usually feel fine after a 30+ mile run.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    am slightly put off by the Sunday 9am start times though. [...] The other thing that worries me is the etiquette side of things that always comes with club activities of any sort and perhaps a feeling of being tied in to doing certain things rather than being completely independent. A bit of a trade-off I guess and you can still be independent when you are doing runs on your own as it's not as though you would be giving them up by joining a club.
    One of the plus sides for me is the incentive to get out of bed at a sensible time on a Sunday ... even though I do a lot of evening work, I do try to make the Sunday club runs, even if I do then go into lazy mode afterwards. And, of course, if I really don't feel like going out ... I don't. Same for other club stuff - if I want to go for a solo ride, there's nothing stopping me. No trade-off at all, just more opportunities ... and club subscriptions won't break the bank, even if you do only go for a few rides with them over the year. But I suspect you'll appreciate all the support and advice they'll give (and guidance on etiquette), and you'll soon learn the ropes and techniques.

You can't really appreciate enough the value of that advice for basically peanuts of club subs. I have just spent an hour swapping stems about on my bikes as it was pointed out that I was looking too short on 1 bike... something I had missed or just plain ignored and took the an 'expert' eye just seconds to analyse.
  • am slightly put off by the Sunday 9am start times though. [...] The other thing that worries me is the etiquette side of things that always comes with club activities of any sort and perhaps a feeling of being tied in to doing certain things rather than being completely independent. A bit of a trade-off I guess and you can still be independent when you are doing runs on your own as it's not as though you would be giving them up by joining a club.
    Which club are you a member of? I'm considering joining one in/around Exeter and not sure which would be best. The main one seems to be Wheelers.
  • My club has a SOCIAL Sunday ride, which they class as ALL INCLUSIVE.

It generally consists of two groups. Slow and fast. It's a social ride, so the fast guys generally don't go hell for leather. We have ride leaders who make sure that everyone is alright and nobody gets dropped. Both groups meet up at a designated eatery for cake and then split again for the ride home.

The club gets lots of praise from new members, as they're made to feel very welcome and don't get left behind.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Oh I got some road bike shoes that arrved today I fitted and tried them when I came back from my ride as I am ridng in MTB shoes everyone else is wearing road shoes. I feel like the kid who turned up to a football match and everyone else is wearing football boots and I'm wearing trainers. No one has said anything and It doesn't effect my ability to keep up but the solid feel of the carbon fibre soles on the road shoes feel like I will be able to put more power into the pedals. Lets hope I don't fall off and make a fool of myself as they are a bit trickier to clip into than the the double sided MTB pedals I'm used to.

I still wear MTB style SPD's. No need to change them because the other ones haven't worn out, no one notices or cares and I'll even be racing on them come January. I will change to road shoes when my SPD shoes wear out but still a long way off! Don't get caught in the trap thinking you need all the same gear as person x, let your legs to the talking and leave them for dust ;)
  • briantrumpet
    johnr76 wrote:
    Which club are you a member of? I'm considering joining one in/around Exeter and not sure which would be best. The main one seems to be Wheelers.
    Exeter Wheelers, indeed. Their club runs have got much bigger than they used to be, apparently (I only joined a couple of months ago) - they've been over 30 lately, and have started splitting into two groups, but they weren't really a slow and a fast one - just for not having one enormous group on the road. Typical Sunday speeds have ranged from late Summer 18/19mphish, to 15mph for one a few weeks ago over lumpy stuff out towards Dartmoor. A friendly bunch, though probably not really set up at the moment to cater for slow riders & novices. And cheap as chips at £12 a year. They're more than happy for you to join the club runs to see how you get on - no hurry to join.