Transition Covert

jasonw311
jasonw311 Posts: 11
edited November 2011 in Your mountain bikes
This is my new Transition Covert. Components are a mix of new plus old from my previous ride. Completed the build 8 weeks ago and been enjoying ever since. Rockshox Reverb now fitted.

Covert3-2.jpg
Covert1-1-1.jpg
Covert2-1.jpg

Comments

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
  • Now THAT is a tasty looking machine.

Complete Spec list?
  • That is rather beautiful! :D
  • chick0
    chick0 Posts: 338
    Looks super. Loving the colour, never seen one in this finish before..

I have always really liked the industrial look of these Coverts. The welds are works of art..
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Looks really good. Except the stem is too long and do you really use a 44tooth chainring on a bike like that? 1x9 or 10 would be ideal.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    styxd wrote:
    Looks really good. Except the stem is too long and do you really use a 44tooth chainring on a bike like that? 1x9 or 10 would be ideal.

Perhaps he has long arms ?

Why a single ? it is only a 140mm travel bike not a big heavy DH rig !!

A nice looking bit of kit....did look at the same colour fram in Tweeks last week...it was discounted so very tempting !
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • styxd

I dont think arm length really comes into play. Its a downhill orientated bike (150mm travel)

Seems strange to run such a long stem on it. It would ride better with a stem closer to the 60mm length.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    styxd wrote:

I dont think arm length really comes into play. Its a downhill orientated bike (150mm travel)

Seems strange to run such a long stem on it. It would ride better with a stem closer to the 60mm length.

No it's not...it's a 150mm rear travel and happy with a 140mm to 160mm fork...it is also a trail bike not a DH bike so as to stem length its all about the riders comfort.
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Aye, it's up to him what he wants to run, though personally i'd go 1x9 and run a short stem, but that's just how i like my bikes set up, whether it's for XC or downhill.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    ilovedirt wrote:
    Aye, it's up to him what he wants to run, though personally i'd go 1x9 and run a short stem, but that's just how i like my bikes set up, whether it's for XC or downhill.
    agreed. i like having a short stem and not having a front mech but that doens't mean everyone else will want to have their bike ste up like mine
  • Thank you for the comments.

Full Spec as follows:

Frame: Transition Covert 2011 Large
    Forks: 2012 Fox 36 Talas 160 FIT RLC Kashima 1.5" Taper
    Bars: Answer Pro Taper Carbon 720mm
    Stem: Thompson 4x 90mm
    Grips: Raceface with Hope Bar ends

Brakes: Formula The One
    Shifters: Shimano XTR
    Front Mech: Shimano XTR
    Rear Mech: Shimano XT Shadow

Seat: Fizik Gobi
    Seat Post: Thomson Elite 410mm - Rockshox Reverb 2012 now fitted
    Seat Post Clamp: Hope

Cranks: Shimano M970 XTR 175mm
    Chain: SRAM PC991
    Cassette: SRAM PG990 11-34t
    Pedals: Burgtec Penthouse Mk3 Snow Camo
    Bottom Bracket: Hope
    Front Wheel: Hope Pro 2 Evo SP, Stans ZTR Flow Rim 203mm Rotor
    Back Wheel: Hope Pro 2 Evo SP, Stans ZTR Flow Rim 180mm Rotor
    Tyres: Maxxis Minion DHF 2.35 Kevlar Bead

Weight: Don't Know
  • styxd wrote:

90mm stem was from my previous ride, however looking to change this to a 70mm. Not sure I should go shorter than this though. Again the triple came off my previous ride so will be looking at changing to double & bash with the same crank. Will need to stay with 2x9 or 2x10 as I would never get up the hills otherwise.
  • Pudseyp wrote:
    styxd wrote:

No it's not...it's a 150mm rear travel and happy with a 140mm to 160mm fork...it is also a trail bike not a DH bike so as to stem length its all about the riders comfort.

Being 6' 3", 16 1/2 stone, long legs and arms meant I was comfortable with the 90mm stem. Climbs well on full travel on the fork so can look at a shorter stem for better control on the descents - thinking 70mm. I primarily Trail ride however wanted a robust build that can do it all plus I ride fairly heavy so strength was a consideration in the component choice.
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    I like this alot. I actually looked at buying one before i got my remedy, my LBS had a frame in they built into a full bike but it was abit more than i could afford at the time.

Lovely frame though must ride sweetly :P
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Nice looking bike there, my mate is contemplating one.

Do you mind if I ask what is your usual riding terrain to go for a big'ish bike like the Covert?

I do love it when a keyboard warrior decides that someone else's bike would ride better with different components though
  • styxd
    I do love it when a keyboard warrior decides that someone else's bike would ride better with different components though

Well, if all he does is ride up hills then a 90mm stem is better than a shorter one. But if this is the case then he's picked the wrong bike for the job.

I'm just offering advice, a bike like that is designed to work with a short stem, a bit like a downhill bike.

You, on the other hand, obviously dont have a fucking clue.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    That's a refreshing change and a very nice build.

There's something about Trannys I like, just can't put my finger on what it is.

I don't think I'd change much on it.
  • Dirtydog11 wrote:
    There's something about Trannys I like, just can't put my finger on what it is.

You probably cant put your finger on it as they usually tuck up up under their arse cracks :P

Anyhoo......i very rarely see a FS i like, but this one has me rather charmed! I like it lots.
  • Dirtydog, if you didn't set that up purposely, you tried damn well :D
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    Dirtydog, if you didn't set that up purposely, you tried damn well :D

I didn't !

In all honesty I thought 70sPenguin was having a sly dig at the frames for "tucking under".

Re-read it and the penny has just dropped.

I must make a note that "tucking up" and "tucking under" are two different things.

I think I got off lightly, the potential consequence of confusing the two doesn't bear thinking about. :lol::lol::lol:
  • Classic :lol::D