New Planet X n2

petemadoc
petemadoc Posts: 2,331
edited November 2011 in The bottom bracket
photo.jpg.scaled.500.jpg

Not a great photo but it looks pretty sweet. Not normally a fan of Planet X paint jobs however I quite like this.

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Ooooh is that an aero one? I ve been hoping they ll do one of those...

Is it going to be avaialable to normo's or will it be millions of pounds do you know?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • petemadoc
    More stuff here

http://road.cc/content/news/48074-video ... ht-ultegra

£700 for frame/fork/seatpost

Aero (would be interested if there's anything to back this up), internal routing, BB30,

Looks quite good
  • Hmm, looks a bit familiar to me...

aero-road-bikes-specialized-mcLaren-venge.jpg
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    It looks like a foil with a venge paint job.

Nice though.

The new bottom of the range one looks like a cayo.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • I like the look of this - feel a bike sale coming on to make room for it
  • ddraver
    @Pete - I know what you mean but I live in Holland, the flattest place in the world and, it seems, one of the windiest. If aero is beneficial anywhere, it will be here!

(plus I think they look real purty like...)
    - @ddraver
  • petemadoc
    ddraver wrote:
    @Pete - I know what you mean but I live in Holland, the flattest place in the world and, it seems, one of the windiest. If aero is beneficial anywhere, it will be here!

(plus I think they look real purty like...)

Yeah what I meant was "is this frame actually aerodynamic"? Has it had any wind tunnel testing or is it just being marketed as an aero frame.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    This looks like a really nice frame. Does anyone know what other frame/fork[/seatpost] deals for £700 are out there right now? Or if one of the resident smarta*ses could Google That For Me, I would really appreciate it.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'm sure all of the new aero bikes have figures to demonstrate how aero they are. (lies, damned lies and statistics ?)

But look at how wide the frame is, and then look at how wide you are. You'd never be able to detect a difference in performance in the real world. But if you think it is aero, it will be........
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    The N2 is on my Christmas present list :)
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • ddraver
    cougie wrote:
    I'm sure all of the new aero bikes have figures to demonstrate how aero they are. (lies, damned lies and statistics ?)

But look at how wide the frame is, and then look at how wide you are. You'd never be able to detect a difference in performance in the real world. But if you think it is aero, it will be........

Yeah, but that's when the purtyness comes in!
    - @ddraver
  • petemadoc
    cougie wrote:

I agree with you that aero frames aren't really important to the average rider (me) and I won't be buying one. but if I were to buy a frame that claimed to be aero I would want it to actually be more aero than a normal frame. At least if I knew that my frame had been proved to be aero I could imagine myself slicing through the air as I cycle along at 15mph.

Edit: does it not make sense that a steel frame with it's tiny tubes would make the most aero bike ?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think flattened steel would be more aero ? I remember seeing Boardmans tt bike when it was a Cougar - before all the CF came in. It was almost invisible head on.

I'm sure PX would have some figures you could look at. You'd have to be an expert to work them out I reckon, but they can prove anything with numbers.
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    Edit: does it not make sense that a steel frame with it's tiny tubes would make the most aero bike ?

I've wondered this. I think the complexity is that the shape of the frame should serve to smooth air moving around the rider and the bike. I expect (but don't know for sure) that having a super-slim bike doesn't help keep the rider 'out of the wind' as it were.
  • A lot of aerodynamic drag comes not from the frontal area, but from turbulence caused behind the object. That's why the teardrop-profile tubing has less drag than a smaller plain tube -- it's designed to reduce turbulence on the trailing edge. It's the same reason that's behind deep-section and disc wheels.
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    No - it's not about pure mass. The shaping and airflow are vitally important in aerodynamics.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Hmm, looks a bit familiar to me...

aero-road-bikes-specialized-mcLaren-venge.jpg

Which was a blatant rip-off of this :wink: :

scott_foil_red_600.jpg
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    PeteMadoc wrote:
    photo.jpg.scaled.500.jpg

Not a great photo but it looks pretty sweet. Not normally a fan of Planet X paint jobs however I quite like this.
    I like it. What make is it?

:wink: