Commuting in the fog

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited November 2011 in Commuting chat
OK so it's one of those rare days in Wimbledon (London) where there is a really dense/thick/low visibility fog. It got me thinking, despite having the lights, is it safe to commute?

Now I'm going to Ilford so I can only imagine that the other end, which is also more residential than a highly comericial (well heated/lit) district will also suffer relatively dense fog.

So - seriously - what do we do when cycling through fog to remain safe?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Plenty of Sunday riders on the dual carriageways today, no lights, nutters!

Still, happy my District 3 is powerfull enough.
  • I was out riding today in the fog... 44 miles, 3degC, brrr... plenty of idiots in cars on narrow country lanes with no lights.. I was lit up like an Xmas tree and still they tried to overtake even though they couldn't possibly see what was coming the other way...
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    This time of year that's my normal morning commute, you get used to it however it does make the commute slower.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Richmond Park full to the gunnels today. Reckon about 10% of riders were using lights. Visability was seriously impaired. Insane.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,773
    Use lights, be careful. There's a lot worse than fog.
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    What's the difference between muff-diving and driving in fog?

When you're muff-diving you can see the c*** in front of you.
    Rules are for fools.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Weather isn't a bar to a commute in this country. All it can do is force a non extended commute. I think fog is nicer than gusting gale force winds.

I suspect the biggest risk in fog is of riding into the back of parked cars......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I don't mind fog at all. I had a Knog frog strobe on my fork, a red one on my helmet, a fibre flare on my flourescent and reflective backpack, a Magicshine MJ-818 ('car brake light' bright) on the back of the bike and a MJ-872 on the front.

I did see plenty of cars without lights on though, it's always the fog coloured cars isn't it!

I told one guy that his front lights weren't working, he said they weren't on, I told him his back lights were on though, he said they were his brake lights. So I told him his high, centre brake light wasn't working, he shrugged his shoulders. And then I said that his light bluey-silver car was practically invisible so he should probably put his lights on. He just looked at me as if I was speaking Incan at him. :roll:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,372
    bails87 wrote:
    I don't mind fog at all. I had a Knog frog strobe on my fork, a red one on my helmet, a fibre flare on my flourescent and reflective backpack, a Magicshine MJ-818 ('car brake light' bright) on the back of the bike and a MJ-872 on the front.

I did see plenty of cars without lights on though, it's always the fog coloured cars isn't it!

I told one guy that his front lights weren't working, he said they weren't on, I told him his back lights were on though, he said they were his brake lights. So I told him his high, centre brake light wasn't working, he shrugged his shoulders. And then I said that his light bluey-silver car was practically invisible so he should probably put his lights on. He just looked at me as if I was speaking Incan at him. :roll:

I think that would be Quechua. I doubt I would have ridden last night, but it's very patchy, so you can think it's just a bit of mist then "hey where's my front wheel gone?". As with riding in snow, it's not my abilities I'm worried about, but people like the one described above.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • bails87
    rjsterry wrote:
    bails87 wrote:
    He just looked at me as if I was speaking Incan at him. :roll:

I think that would be Quechua.
    Unless I'd invented my own language and called it Incan :wink:
    MTB/CX

• vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    OK so it's one of those rare days in Wimbledon (London) where there is a really dense/thick/low visibility fog. It got me thinking, despite having the lights, is it safe to commute?

Now I'm going to Ilford so I can only imagine that the other end, which is also more residential than a highly comericial (well heated/lit) district will also suffer relatively dense fog.

So - seriously - what do we do when cycling through fog to remain safe?

I just turn on all my lights

I have a smart super flash and a cateye ld1100 at the back and a IQ Fly at the front.
  • I tend to turn my front light down on the fog. It was thick fog in Basildon this morning, 900 lumens on the unlit country lanes just lit the fog, I turned my light down to medium, then low, the lowest setting was the best. Really enjoyed the ride, albeit very eerie/eery!
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i did yesterday and would have done today if i had been riding to work. but walking in to the office instead today was fine.

i though yesterday id go slower due to the fog but actually got in quicker!
  • Didn't ride yesterday morning nor this morning. Don't trust the drivers on the faster stretches of road.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • iPete wrote:
    Plenty of Sunday riders on the dual carriageways today, no lights, nutters!

Still, happy my District 3 is powerfull enough.

Yup. Looks like you're being followed by a big red candy floss
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    bails87 wrote:
    I don't mind fog at all.

You've never descended a long/steel hill in freezing fog then...
  • bails87 wrote:
    I don't mind fog at all.

yup - steel gets really slippery with all that water/ice about - not many steel hills up here though :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bails87 wrote:
    I don't mind fog at all.

yup - steel gets really slippery with all that water/ice about - not many steel hills up here though :wink:

Would he be forging a new path in the fog?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    bails87 wrote:
    I don't mind fog at all.

Yep i find carbon hills to be more laterally stiff and vertically compliant, far better in the cold.
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • rick_chasey
    It's the 3years I spent in Sheffield I tell ya.
  • bails87
    bails87 wrote:
    I don't mind fog at all.

Typos aside.....:wink:

No, I don't have any particularly long or dangerously steep hills on my commute, so I don't mind fog. If there's freezing fog the the problem is ice, not fog. :wink:
    MTB/CX

• rick_chasey
    Or the icicles forming around your nose & mouth!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    like this ?
    5240884508_2f341673f4.jpg
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • bails87
    And what are icicles made of? :P

Maybe I should grow a polar explorer style beard....
    MTB/CX

• rick_chasey
    bails87 wrote:
    And what are icicles made of? :P

Er, steel?

No,no, wait..!