Kevin Winter - framebuilder

wiffachip
wiffachip Posts: 861
edited November 2015 in Road buying advice
based in Ferryhill I believe, anyone got any experience of his work ?

thinking about treating myself and he seems to be the only one in the North East

from what I can find, he's got a good reputation, but there's next to nowt about him anywhere. Was apparently with Hardisty's

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    He's been around a fair while so expect he's mastered the art by now :wink: No direct experience but seen one from time to time.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Roberj4
    Roberj4 Posts: 13
    I want to put a positive post regarding Kevin who I've know (on and off) for a long time especially through my days working as store manager for Hardisty Cycles Stockton 1990's. Kevin is still building, respraying and restoring frames in 2011/12 from his work shop at FerryHill Co Durham. If there's a high end framesets needing a respray or fixing there's nobody else other than Kevin to do the work I wouldn't trust anybody else. In 2010 he resprayed my 13yr old Cannondale Cad3 back to perfection. He worked for Paul Donague's cycle shop (Bishop Aucland) as a frame building only building Paul's high end (Reynolds, Columbus, Titanium) customer frame orders, handling framesets to the luck lads who were also sponsored. The best frame I've ever ridden in my life was a titanium framesets Kevin built for a customer of ours (hand built wheels, Athena Gruppo £1500 budget) who'd had his bike stolen. I was lucky to ride it round the store car park for 2 minutes aah the memories. I own a Cannondale Super Six but I don't need carbon for my next bike, it will be a Kev Winter steel frameset. If you need his number email me jctroberts@googlemail.com
  • Firstly, apologies for bumping up a very old topic. Does anyone know if Kevin still works out of Ferryhill? I'm in need of someone to respray and rebuild a bike and Ferryhill is just around the corner. If anyone could let me know, I'd greatly appreciate it.
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    Yes he does. Still out of his shed. He built me a bike just last year, and it is awesome.
  • Yes he does. Still out of his shed. He built me a bike just last year, and it is awesome.

I don't suppose you have his contact details? I've tried searching online without any luck.
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    Yeah, he's fairly quiet on the internet front! I thought I had his number but can't find it at the mo. He's recently done a few frames for M. Steels Cycles in Gosforth. I'd be pretty sure they'd have his number somewhere. I do know that he's fairly busy so be prepared to wait. Worth it though. He's brilliant